Thread: Scan probe very aggressive

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Scan probe very aggressive

I received my new scanning probe a few days ago, got a sled made and scanned a couple simple items just to see how it worked. I was a bit surprised at how aggressive this scanner is. It goes to town like a little jackhammer and I was really anticipating it to be a somewhat delicate operation. The first thing I scanned was a brand new quarter and when it was done it looked like I took some 80 grit sandpaper to it. I next tried one of the kids plastic hamburger buns since I figured no harm in scratching it and sure enough it scratched that pretty well too. I can't imagine putting anything under this scanner that I want unharmed. I will order a set of the protective tips but they don't look like they will maintain the promised accuracy of the probe. I've also seen posts showing folks using the model glue tips but they look pretty wide and blunt as well. Any experience on the resolution achievable with the protective tips? I guess I will need to create a mold and plaster replicas of anything I want to scan with fine detail. It really would have made sense for the firmware to give the user an option to slow this thing down for delicate surfaces at the expense of longer scanning times.

Also, the plastic bun seemed to give the probe problems. Not sure if it was the steep sides. Overall the item is about an inch high. The scanning stopped maybe 10 times during the scan and gave the message "check probe". If I wiggled the probe a little and hit enter it would go back to scanning. Most of the time it seemed to do this when going up the sides or near the middle. It also periodically paused like it was going to stop but only raised the probe up to the top in the z-direction before going back down and continuing.

Frederick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sccreenshot.png   2014-03-12 22.01.34.jpg   2014-03-16 15.36.01.jpg