Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Step cut in around patterns

Could you upload a simple example that demonstrates the bug? (I know it has to be carved.)

Here's the vector pattern I used to do my test. Optimization is still at best in this version of the project.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks. So it should do it with simple carve regions. I will run some carves tomorrow.

Looks like was done from photo or floor feather.

It was done with a vector curve that was extracted from a high resolution Adobe Photoshop logo. The curves are actually very smooth. It has a simple carve region with a flipped feather. The floor feather does not exist on version 1.187 as far as I know. LHR originally thought the problem was due to a floor feather until they realized I was using 1.187.

The original picture in this thread was of a bitmap carve. The paw. That seems like it could be different.

In 1.187 the feather of all patterns are floored; the checkbox to turn it off was added in 2.001.
    Mark Anderson
    CarveWright (10/28/2008 - 6/18/2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    In 1.187 the feather of all patterns are floored; the checkbox to turn it off was added in 2.001.
    I do not think the "bug" of this thread has to do with the floor feather. The floor feather floors the perimeter down to the lowest level of the pattern and bit optimization helps to compensate for it. Here we have a slight change in depth around the perimeter and it seems that it is caused by bit optimization.

Maybe veering off topic but since it's come up, is the "floor feather" in 2.0 equivalent to a feather that has been flipped in 1.187?

If the bit optimization algorithm is the cause of the problem with my design, it seems that it could easily be independent of whether the carve region defined by a bitmap vs. a curve. If the bitmap is black and white and had the same step drop between min and max. I would hypothesize that it is this abrupt step that is causing the bit optimization function problems. If the algorithm was designed with only smoothly varying surfaces in mind this kind of abrupt topography change could easily generate unexpected results.

No a flipped (inner) feather works the same in both 1.187 and 2.0+, from the board surface down. Floor feather can only make a difference for outer feathers since it increases the depth to the max around the perimeter of the carving. Outer feather starts at this depth and shallows as distance from the edge increases.
    Mark Anderson
    CarveWright (10/28/2008 - 6/18/2014)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast