Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Step cut in around patterns

Default Step cut in around patterns

Why do I sometimes get a tiny step cut round the border of a pattern or letter? It looks like that step set into a swimming pool, all the way round the edge. A cutaway view would look something like this:

BOARD SURFACE
    _______
    |_STEP
    |
    |PATTERN
    |

Peter.

Is this in designer or a carve? Have any pictures or screen shots of what your seeing.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I think you are seeing feathering but picture would help us see.

I see this around the shoreline of my lake map patterns with bit optimization = best. The lake map patterns are from bathymetric depth data and the edge of the pattern should be at 0 depth, at the board's surface. If I set bit optimization = none, I don't get this. But if I set bit optimization = best, which is generally required to keep narrow peninsulas from disappearing, I get this. I don't know why.

What is your bit optimization setting? Also, what version of Designer? This could also be due to "Floor Feather".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step problem.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	68116

Here is a photo of the problem. I am referring to the outline you can see round each toe of the claw

I am using Designer 1.187, bit optimisation is set at "best".

Looks like artifacts around the pattern edge. Did you buy this pattern or make it yourself? If you made it, open the graphic file and look very closely at the image around the toes/claws and you will most likely see some different colored pixals that are creating them. Based on my own personal life lesson

Quote Originally Posted by pqkenai View Post
    I am using Designer 1.187, bit optimisation is set at "best".
    Set Bit Optimization: none.

Yes the bit optimization is the problem. I have had this before on certain patterns. Set it to none and it will disappear.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

I've had that problem and LHR told me it's a known bug in the software. The only way to avoid it is to put a shim on the board when it finds the surface so that it air carves to the depth of the aberration.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast