Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I need?

Default What do I need?

I am looking at purchasing the CarveWright CX. I will mainly be making signs, display boards and plaques to start with.

With that being said...

What components, packages would you recommend? I know there are a lot of free patterns available on this forum, compliments of you all. Is it necessary to purchase a "bundle package"?

The CX comes with the Carve Tight Spindle, does that mean I have to buy special bits or can my router bits, 1/4" and 1/2" work in it?

Other than the software that is included, what would you recommend for add-on software?

Is there a waiting list for new machines now?

Thank you all in advance for your input and help.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cjudas View Post
    I am looking at purchasing the CarveWright CX. I will mainly be making signs, display boards and plaques to start with.

With that being said...

What components, packages would you recommend? I know there are a lot of free patterns available on this forum, compliments of you all. Is it necessary to purchase a "bundle package"?

The CX comes with the Carve Tight Spindle, does that mean I have to buy special bits or can my router bits, 1/4" and 1/2" work in it?

Other than the software that is included, what would you recommend for add-on software?

Is there a waiting list for new machines now?

Thank you all in advance for your input and help.

Chris
    For starter add on software I usually suggest the centerline text and conforming vectors. Both of these will be very useful for your sign making. To use your 1/4" shaft bits you will need the 1/4" collet. The chuck in the machine is 1/2". You might also want to get the stop collars for the bits. Make sure to also order the flex shaft lube and dust collection attachment.

I believe the machines are being shipped out as the order come in and they get the QC checks done.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

3. Default

for sign making you will definitely need conforming vectors and centerline software. The carvetight requires a 1/2 inch shank or a 1/4 inch to 1/2 collet adapter. The main carving and cutting bits are best if you use the ones sold by carvewright at least at first. After that if you break or need to replace you can heat the adapters off and put in new bits. The specialty bits like 60 and 90 degree bits can come from anywhere and work well in the collet adapter. While you don't need the 2.0 software if you can afford it right now getting it with the bundle is well worth it. Don't know for sure about waiting lists but judging from staff posts in the forum there is no waiting list.

Get or make a dust collection hood and get a dust collector if you don't have one - this is very important for reliability and maintenance. If on a budget, place that purchase above any other add-ons. I agree conforming software is nice but not required; then again it is not expense. I would order a spare carving and cutting bit, as it is not uncommon for new users to break a bit, and if you do, you're down. If you plan on making large signs, the larger-diameter carving bits are nice but again not required.

I agree that Centerline is a must, but I also believe that Conforming Vectors is needed - it adds a lot more possibilities. You will need 90 and 60 degree V bits and the split collet ($19) to hold them = plus soacers.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Thank you for your input / advice on what I should start with. I have been playing with the software and it seems the possibilities are endless on what can be done with the machine.

It appears that most drawings and pictures that can be imported can be carved?

Since I have limited space in my shop I was thinking I could mount the CW on a portable miter saw stand. That way when I am using it I have built in rollers on the ends and when I'm done I can fold it up out of the way. Does anyone else do this or is it not advisable? I wasn't sure if leaving it "hang" sideways on the stand would damage it.

Any other input / advice is greatly appreciated. I have been reading and watching everything I can find on the machine and this forum seems like the Mecca of information.

Thanks again

Chris

I am not sure hanging it sideways will damage it, but these little suckers are heavy! so it might be easier to look at a stand you can just roll it around on.
    I have mine mounted to stands I bought on sale at harbor freight. The 1hp dust collector is mounted to the stand as well, so when I need to move it the whole unit goes with it.
    Most of my carving don't need roller supports so I just use the portable ones when they are needed

Quote Originally Posted by cjudas View Post
    It appears that most drawings and pictures that can be imported can be carved?
    Most drawings will require editing to get good results. Most pictures cannot be carved with satisfying results without editing or extensive work. There have been many discussions on this; it's difficult to sum up in a few words. You should not expect to import a photo, carve it directly, and get a good result.

A not really steady stand sounds scary to me. Both my machines are on rolling stands larger than the machine footprint by about 8" in the infeed/outfeed directions and a couple of inches wider at each end. I have storage under each with a drawer for the bits etc.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

CK and see if their is a Carve U member in your area .They are a good person to talk to about the C/W and enjoy helping out with your C/W.
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast