Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Column Flutes

Dan, Dan, and Dick have given you the best way to make the flutes. Making it outside designer gives you something like what is shown in the image below. Although setting zero depth around this pattern would work, carving this pattern or carving the pattern created using the 3d suite would take forever on a 36" flute using raster. It is best to use one of the methods mentioned by the two Dan's and dick.

Edit: If I were to do what you want, I would do it with a hand router, and guides. Much faster, and easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flute.jpg  
    Last edited by eelamb; 03-07-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Dan, Dan, and Dick have given you the best way to make the flutes. Making it outside designer gives you something like what is shown in the image below. Although setting zero depth around this pattern would work, carving this pattern or carving the pattern created using the 3d suite would take forever on a 36" flute using raster. It is best to use one of the methods mentioned by the two Dan's and dick.

Edit: If I were to do what you want, I would do it with a hand router, and guides. Much faster, and easier.
    I agree. This method is much faster but, it isn't the same. You don't get the rounded top edges between the flutes. A little more difficult to get the ramped ends but, probably just a matter or preference though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flute Example.png  
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I agree. This method is much faster but, it isn't the same. You don't get the rounded top edges between the flutes. A little more difficult to get the ramped ends but, probably just a matter or preference though.
    If flutes are used on a rounded column the spacing and sizes should also be progressively larger to the center and then progressively smaller to the opposite edge for the 3D effect. This example is pretty rough but, illustrates the point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spaced fluting.png  
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Steve you are right he did say doric.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails doric-ionicflute.png  
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12