Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Column Flutes

Default Column Flutes

I need some column flutes with rounded bottoms and flared up ends. Tried to make them myself but can't get the right look using the bit profile. Anyone have a pattern already that you can share?

Do you have the 3d tool?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture eight fluted.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by gashawk View Post
    Do you have the 3d tool?
    I've been playing with the 3d tool as I just got it and I've been really enjoying the sweep rails tool to make columns and pretend lathe work. Your picture just gave me another AHA moment. Thanks.

dave

I wasn't too clear on what I am trying to do...I just want to carve some flutes in a flat board...they will be about 3 feet long and I want them to be rounded on the bottom of the "groove" and tapered on the ends. I'm building pedestal base and want to put some flutes on the verticals. I tried to lay them out in Pattern Editor but didn't have much success...hopefully someone has already got an mpc with a flute. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by carrothers View Post
    I wasn't too clear on what I am trying to do...I just want to carve some flutes in a flat board...they will be about 3 feet long and I want them to be rounded on the bottom of the "groove" and tapered on the ends. I'm building pedestal base and want to put some flutes on the verticals. I tried to lay them out in Pattern Editor but didn't have much success...hopefully someone has already got an mpc with a flute. thanks.
    If you have the 3D tools you can use the Extrude tool. Here is an example I created in about 10 minutes. It's kind of crude but, I think you can get the idea.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve

I don't have the 3D...this is close. I'm trying to emulate the flutes that you see on Doric columns. I've tried all the pattern sites, as well as clip art but haven't found anything yet. I want to put three flutes on either side of a carve out region on a vertical plant stand.

Quote Originally Posted by carrothers View Post
    I don't have the 3D...this is close. I'm trying to emulate the flutes that you see on Doric columns. I've tried all the pattern sites, as well as clip art but haven't found anything yet. I want to put three flutes on either side of a carve out region on a vertical plant stand.
    Vectorclip3d has a fluted column but, I think you have to subscribe for a monthly fee. No individual downloads.

http://www.vectorclip3d.com/index.ph...e=all&search=1
    Steve

Use the 1/2" ballnose bit to make the flutes and then make a pattern out of them.

Draw a line ,about 4 inches long, select "depth profile", third one down on the left, set depth. This will take care of the end sweeping up. Then just draw your line however long you want the column, and add another sweeping line to that end. Select a roundnose bit 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and there you have it.
    Last edited by Dan-Woodman; 03-07-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

The most direct way, also faster and cleaner, would be to draw lines, assign a 1/4" or 1/2" ball nose bit, and use that bit. You can use a 1/2" shank router bit. I used this method to put flutes on the corner posts of a toy box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast