Thread: Back of Adirondack chair

Default Back of Adirondack chair

Here is my newest carving. Yes it is cut into 3 inch and 2 1/2 inch splices... I will place them on
    a semi-circle frame to frame out the back of an Adirondack chair like my last one (see completed and think of
    this back on it). I haven't decided whether or not I should paint it accordingly to the original family crest
    then apply a spar varnish or just varnish. I carved this in cedar to go outside and it took 3.5 hours on best with little clean up.
    Not counting the two hours and numerous changes to the board size and brain farts since I haven't used my machine in quite a while.

No the carvings isn't crooked it my photography skills of holding the camera on an angle or maybe it's me not
    standing straight (I seem to lean more and more the older I get)

I was able to bring out all my wood working machines out into the sunlight today and make lots of sawdust.
    It was a beautiful 79 degrees today... but just wait it will probably be cold tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails House of Young.jpg   DSC08614.JPG  
    Last edited by Canemaker; 02-23-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: font size

Very nice. 79 hum 3 feet of snow here still.

23 degrees here, dang, oh and by the way looks great and wonderful job on the chair!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoken D View Post
    23 degrees here, dang, oh and by the way looks great and wonderful job on the chair!
    Yes, nice job on the chair.

I hate to seem like I'm bragging but, (well, maybe just a little) it's mostly sunny here with an expected high of 81 degrees.
    Steve

The chair really came out well. Nice job. I received this picture from a friend who lives not too far from where I grew up and spend a lot of time...even in the winter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1013810.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	67779
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Great job, 2 questions. Is this on the back of the chair facing away
    Also where did you find the coat of arms artwork?

Quote Originally Posted by Canemaker View Post
    Here is my newest carving. Yes it is cut into 3 inch and 2 1/2 inch splices... I will place them on
    a semi-circle frame to frame out the back of an Adirondack chair like my last one (see completed and think of
    this back on it). I haven't decided whether or not I should paint it accordingly to the original family crest
    then apply a spar varnish or just varnish. I carved this in cedar to go outside and it took 3.5 hours on best with little clean up.
    Not counting the two hours and numerous changes to the board size and brain farts since I haven't used my machine in quite a while.

No the carvings isn't crooked it my photography skills of holding the camera on an angle or maybe it's me not
    standing straight (I seem to lean more and more the older I get)

I was able to bring out all my wood working machines out into the sunlight today and make lots of sawdust.
    It was a beautiful 79 degrees today... but just wait it will probably be cold tomorrow.
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

That is a great idea. I used to make adirondack chairs. Actually "Jakes Chair " if you ever saw those plans floating around the internet. I frequently thought about incorporating some carving work into the seat runner or the back slats like you did. Looks really nice. Great looking chair also!
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

James RS, to answer your questions:

1. The completed chair in the picture was the one I made my parents for Christmas last year... however, the only thing my siblings had to
    say was where was the other chair.... Working full time I was only able to make the one chair... My initial plan was to carve the family crest
    into the back of the chair, but I didn't have the pattern until after Christmas.. So the other chair will have this carving as you see the chair from
    the front. I laid up against the back and remarkably couldn't feel the carving in my back... I will fill out the sides and the top of the back with additional
    pieces of cedar.

2. As far as the pattern, ... I contacted Alan Malmstrom here on the forum and sent him a camera ready copy of my family crest and he did an excellent
    job making it into a pattern... I tried using both the 2d and 3d software packages, but I was embarrassed of my creations and decided to go with an expert..

Alan has made me a pattern in the past and I will use him again whenever I need something I can't come up with through the store or on my own. He does a great job! That is a really nice pattern he made for your family coat of arms!
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Thanks for the reply, and it is a great job love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canemaker View Post
    James RS, to answer your questions:

1. The completed chair in the picture was the one I made my parents for Christmas last year... however, the only thing my siblings had to
    say was where was the other chair.... Working full time I was only able to make the one chair... My initial plan was to carve the family crest
    into the back of the chair, but I didn't have the pattern until after Christmas.. So the other chair will have this carving as you see the chair from
    the front. I laid up against the back and remarkably couldn't feel the carving in my back... I will fill out the sides and the top of the back with additional
    pieces of cedar.

2. As far as the pattern, ... I contacted Alan Malmstrom here on the forum and sent him a camera ready copy of my family crest and he did an excellent
    job making it into a pattern... I tried using both the 2d and 3d software packages, but I was embarrassed of my creations and decided to go with an expert..
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"