Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sounds Like a Turkey

Default Sounds Like a Turkey

Well this is my first official project being a newbie. I have to say making this turkey call was too much fun. I have to thank Floyd, and Dan again for all the help and advice. The run out on this call was only a few thousands of an inch and for working with wood this is perfect. I chucked it up on the lathe and ran an indicator on it and was amazed on how circularity was concentric in relationship to the steps inside. for the inside of the slate lip and sound board pedestal. I worked this project on placing board on center and was critical on all measurements being accurate even the call blank being dead nuts 4.5 inches square. I had a few "air" cuts, and the blank thickness was undersized alil and adjusted the slot depth alil to cut through the blank but it carved well. It took about 45 min. I did noticed some redundant bit checks/load bit all i had to do is hit the enter button again, not sure why that happened but seems wasted time. I am still learning how the carvewright performs center not using a fixture (sled) offset but was more than happy with the accuracy. Floyd thanks again for all your help, i couldn't have done it without you. I will preform the next call place on end and see what results i get. So far this call is as perfect dimensionally as one can get for wood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Call Back.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	804.7 KB 
ID:	67692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Call Inside.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	798.8 KB 
ID:	67693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side of Call.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	67694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slate Surface.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	621.2 KB 
ID:	67695

Brian,

Awesome job sir! I can almost see you grinning from WV to Co.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Glad the Carvewright worked out as good as you had hoped for. Looking forward to seeing more of your calls.

Yea the carvewright done well, I did notice the 3/8 bit used to hallow out the inside worked the machine alil harder. I noticed the flex shaft movement and alil more heat was present than other carves. I wouldn't want to take big cuts all at once.

Looks real good. Now, are you going to make a presentation box or stand to go with them?

Yes, we will do a box set matching wood deer grunt tube and turkey pot call. The box will have a wildlife scene and flocking inside. The Christmas sets will be copper inlays and different graphics.

Doelman when you said stand i just looked at the waste block if i cut it in half , glued together it makes a perfect stand for the call.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggycarver View Post
    Yea the carvewright done well, I did notice the 3/8 bit used to hallow out the inside worked the machine alil harder. I noticed the flex shaft movement and alil more heat was present than other carves. I wouldn't want to take big cuts all at once.
    You can either reduce the amount on the max pass or change it over to the 3/16" bit. Changing to the 3/16" bit will mean more passes and add a little bit to the carve time but might be less work load on the cut motor.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggycarver View Post
    Well this is my first official project being a newbie. I have to say making this turkey call was too much fun. I have to thank Floyd, and Dan again for all the help and advice. The run out on this call was only a few thousands of an inch and for working with wood this is perfect. I chucked it up on the lathe and ran an indicator on it and was amazed on how circularity was concentric in relationship to the steps inside. for the inside of the slate lip and sound board pedestal. I worked this project on placing board on center and was critical on all measurements being accurate even the call blank being dead nuts 4.5 inches square. I had a few "air" cuts, and the blank thickness was undersized alil and adjusted the slot depth alil to cut through the blank but it carved well. It took about 45 min. I did noticed some redundant bit checks/load bit all i had to do is hit the enter button again, not sure why that happened but seems wasted time. I am still learning how the carvewright performs center not using a fixture (sled) offset but was more than happy with the accuracy. Floyd thanks again for all your help, i couldn't have done it without you. I will preform the next call place on end and see what results i get. So far this call is as perfect dimensionally as one can get for wood.
    I'm not sure how it works but, from the pictures it looks like an interesting project.
    Steve

Yeah!! I'm so glad you are having fun and the project turned out great!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast