Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: lithopane sled making

Post your mpc so we can look at it. Are you using CarveWrights 1/8" bit?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Yes, the short 1/8 bit that came with the CW set. I have not used it prior to this. I ran the X, Y, Z, and cut motor tests. They all homed and functioned correctly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

I did not see anything unusual with the mpc. Looks like you are using 3/8" material according to the carve region depth.

What quality setting did you select when up up loaded to the card?

Did you try running the project again?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Yes, to your questions, and I may have figured out what is happening. The earlier question about the bit made me start thinking if my memory was right. It was not. The bit is longer than the 1/16 ball nose or the 3/16 ball nose. It came from Soigeneris, where I have been getting bits for a while. This 1/8 ball nose, #CM404-1250-100B, is a new type for me to try and I had forgotten about it. I am selecting the long 1/8 bit now and will give it another go and will report back. Every time I stop using my CW I have another learning curve to climb when getting back to it.
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

Ok, choosing the long 1/8th bit solved the homing problem. It homed correctly, then wanted me to load another 1/8th deep carving bit. I do not know enough about this newest deep carving feature, stopped it there, and am getting ready to go back to a 1/16 ball bit. Not much difference in carving time, both just under 2 hours. It will be a good test of the machine I guess.
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

Yes with the new 2.xx version it is expecting the bit to be certain length +/- and will give the stall error if it is not.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

I am wrong again. My original 1/16 bit is the same length and fluting as the 1/8 ball nose. I have been using shorter 1/16 bits but that is in the shank, not the cutting area. With the bits I have been using, the CW overdrives the Z axis. It is definitely a problem with the software I think. The 3/16 ball nose that came from CW is a short one similar in length to the replacements I have been getting in the 1/16 ball nose carving bits. I am using a Rock Chuck with the 1/2 adapter, and have been using that for several years without any problems. This homing problem has shown up with the Designer 2.004 upgrade I did a couple of days ago.
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

A lot of people with the rock have fallen back to 1.xxx until the software lords can get the bit find problem corrected..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Can I do that too? I shall give that a try. Thanks!
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

Quote Originally Posted by luckettg View Post
    Can I do that too? I shall give that a try. Thanks!
    You should still be able to, when you installed 2.xxx it was not installed over 1.xx so if you did not remove it you should still have the program.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast