Thread: CX cut motor question

Default CX cut motor question

Hello all,
    I have the new CX style cut motor that I installed in my C machine back on 5/8/15. I have been getting cut motor error for a long time now. Would guess over a year now. I just replace the x termination board because i was not getting the motor to spin up during the cut motor test. (the display would read that the motor was running, but it wasn't.) once I replace the board the test ran fine. I also tried the test where you spin the bit by hand to see if the numbers changed, and they do not. I thought by replacing the x termination board that would help with my cut motor error, but it didn't. I have been looking through the forum and I came across some post about a small magnet that is located on the shaft of the cut motor. I took my old motor apart to see if there was one there, but didn't see anything. Decided to take The Cx motor apart to see if i could see anything on that one, but also, no magnet that i can tell. I have attached a picture of the CX motor.

Sorry for the long post, but i guess my question is what does the motor shaft look like with the magnet? Does it have a covering over it?
    I can post more photos if needed.

Thanks in advance,
    Wil

lClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1269.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	84142

You should feel a magnetic field somewhere around the aluminum ring.

The magnet is to the right of the bearing on the end of the shaft. The small circuit board that mounts one the outside end of the cut motor case is the rpm pick up sensor.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks for the replies. I did check after reading the replies and felt the magnetic field at one point on the aluminum ring that was mentioned. Guess i can put the motor back together. Does this mean that my RPM sensor could be bad? When I did the cut sensor test where you spin the bit by hand and i didn't get a reading.

Again, thanks for your help.
    Will

Well. I guess that could be the case. I have not heard of a cut motor sensor going bad. (0 - 7 up arrow for the cut sensor counter, right? Just checking!)

You are correct, that was the test. I figured out the cause of the problem this afternoon. It was the connection to the RPM board itself. I wish i had taken some photos once I realized the problem. When i had originally purchased the new CX motor a friend and fellow carvewright user assisted me in replacing the motor. When he removed the wires that connect to the RPM sensor the whole connection came off the board. I figured this out by looking at my old motor that had the RPM sensor still on it. I swapped out the RPM sensors and made sure the connection was correct. I preformed the cut motor test and the motor sounded great. I also preformed the cut sensor counter and got a reading when i turned the bit by hand. I hope this helps to explain the issue. I am going to try over the next couple of days to take some photos to further explain the issue i was having.

Thanks again,
    Will