Thread: Carving Plastics!

Default Carving Plastics!

I am wanting to see what kind of results anyone has had with carving plastics on the CW. I am wanting to make a mold to do some plastics casting and was thinking about using cast acrylic. My concern is that I need the surface to be ultra smooth to get the best finish possible so my castings come out slick. I tried a test with a piece of HDPE last week with much success, but I wasn't able to finish sand or polish the surface to a level that I was happy with.

Has anyone done cast acrylic and if so, what were the results?
    Most folks are afraid of heights, me I fear width.

I have carved cast acrylic to make parts. I have also carved casting resin. Casting resin can be harder than cast acrylic and may take a smoother polish. If I was going to make molds, I think I would go for casting resin. You could even get harder gel coat for the surface. An idea anyway.
    Last edited by bergerud; 02-12-2014 at 09:41 PM.

read somewhere to take out or smooth saw marks on edge try hitting it with a torch I never tired it but may work for your situation too
    denny

This may not be what your after but its inexpensive poly from Walmart. Carved fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2613.JPG  
    thanks so much!
    karl

Quote Originally Posted by gashawk View Post
    This may not be what your after but its inexpensive poly from Walmart. Carved fine.
    Can you give specs on the poly cutting board as well as the specs on the carving pease?
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

The board is just a standard cutting board, they have white and green. About $2.50 I think. As far as the picture it is from a post on this message board. And all I remember is making the pattern deep enough to let light pass.

gashawk There is also some cutting boards at the dollar store . I have been thinking on trying them.