Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: How do you make Vector patterns?

  1. #21

    Default

    Do you by chance have a font generating program you would recommend?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    8,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rbacak View Post
    Do you by chance have a font generating program you would recommend?
    I have not done it. Corel Draw does it. Maybe some else knows of a cheaper program. I would be interested as well.

  3. #23

    Default

    I posted this earlier but here it is again.

    I use free versions of Scanfont 5 and TypeTool3 from fontlab.com. The free version overlays their logo on half of the glyphs, but to work around I just copy and past to several character locations and use one of the clean characters.

    1. Convert image to black and white bitmap.
    2. Launch Scanfont 5.
    3. Tools - Options - Outline font editor, check Export outline font into VFB file.
    4. Open the image.
    5. Export. Select a file name.
    6. Launch TypeTool3.
    7. Select File - New.
    8. Open the VFB file.
    9. Copy and paste the glyph to several character positions. (Left click on the new glyph, the right click and select Copy. Left click on character A, then right click and select Paste. Repeat for B etc.)
    10. File - Info - Names and copyright. Enter a name. Select Style name - regular. Press Build Names. Select File - Generate font.
    11. Install the font.
    12. Run Designer and use the newly-created font.

    More info here: http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_May09.pdf
    Last edited by DickB; 02-09-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Clarified step 10

  4. #24

    Default

    Thanks Dick..... I downloaded the TypeTool3 just fine but there is an issue on their end for Scanfont5. And the online manual web page is missing.. I'm referring to the Mac version....

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Suffern, NY
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    You are mentioning two different things...first: How to create the vectors...second: how to v-carve those vectors

    1) I do the majority of vector designs like that in CorelDraw, but any vector drawing program will do the job (Adobe Illustrator or the FREE InkScape - NOT Gimp)

    2) Currently, you would then need to make those vectors a FONT, as already mentioned, for the CarveWright to be able to do a TRUE v-carving. However, you may see sometime in the not-so-distant future, converting to a font may no longer be a necessary step. However, the way you would get the vectors into Designer, would be via the DXF Importer which is an optional software I have used for many years - I could not do without it!
    DXF would be a waste of money for his needs.. I had looked into this a while back when the add-on came out but you are stuck with using the Depth Profiles in the software and that would mean making an exact replica of a vector drawing is probably not possible.. and if it is you would really have to put a lot of effort into getting it correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    You may be doing it wrong - you don't use a function called Extract Pattern for what you are attempting to do...you need to GROUP the elements you want to Make Pattern from (even if it is only ONE item). Right-click on the GROUP>select MAKE PATTERN, and it will work. For more step-by-step instructions, read pages 6 and 7 of the Tips & Tricks ISSUE 12 September 2008 – Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights

    Keep in mind your technique of creating Carve Regions will not yield a true v-carve appearance nor operation. It will result in a Raster Carve (using your Carving Bit instead of a v-bit) and each Carve Region will be a "fixed/flat" depth. This is unlike a true v-carve where the v-bit goes deeper in the wide areas and tapers up and out when approaching the narrow (pointed) areas.

    I hinted at things to come in my post above.
    I noticed that hint and knowing you are connected to the inner circle at LHR - I am very much ready to see what they come up with. This for me is the big missing link within Designer and the major reason I have chosen to not upgrade to 2.x.

    Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    You do not need the DXF importer to do what you want to do. You need to make true type fonts outside of Designer. That requires another graphics program where you can draw (or import graphics) to make fonts. Then your vector patterns can be brought into Designer as a new font and used as you would use text.
    Absolutely the correct way to go about this

    Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I posted this earlier but here it is again.

    I use free versions of Scanfont 5 and TypeTool3 from fontlab.com. The free version overlays their logo on half of the glyphs, but to work around I just copy and past to several character locations and use one of the clean characters.

    1. Convert image to black and white bitmap.
    2. Launch Scanfont 5.
    3. Tools - Options - Outline font editor, check Export outline font into VFB file.
    4. Open the image.
    5. Export. Select a file name.
    6. Launch TypeTool3.
    7. Select File - New.
    8. Open the VFB file.
    9. Copy and paste the glyph to several character positions. (Left click on the new glyph, the right click and select Copy. Left click on character A, then right click and select Paste. Repeat for B etc.)
    10. File - Info - Names and copyright. Enter a name. Select Style name - regular. Press Build Names. Select File - Generate font.
    11. Install the font.
    12. Run Designer and use the newly-created font.

    More info here: http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...icks_May09.pdf
    I have been using these two pieces of software for about 3 years now and they work flawlessly to import vector drawings as a font so you can correctly and accurately get your artwork to v-carve using Centerline.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rbacak View Post
    Thanks Dick..... I downloaded the TypeTool3 just fine but there is an issue on their end for Scanfont5. And the online manual web page is missing.. I'm referring to the Mac version....
    This is correct.. email them and they will send you a WINE version of ScanFont 5. It worked for me under the previous OS on Mac and it also still functions properly when run in Mac 10.9.1 - mavericks. You might have to show them a license that you purchased the original ScanFont package. I might be able to salvage the WINE version from my downloads folder but I doubt I still have it so you can install it. They are pretty easy going but contacting them through their website can be tricky because their contact form insists you have a serial number for the software you are seeking help with. You can email them directly here : techsupport@fontlab.com
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

    Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    8,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ton80 View Post
    DXF would be a waste of money for his needs.. I had looked into this a while back when the add-on came out but you are stuck with using the Depth Profiles in the software and that would mean making an exact replica of a vector drawing is probably not possible.. and if it is you would really have to put a lot of effort into getting it correct.
    Short term, he can convert intricate designs to a font and use the CW Centerline function to simulate a v-carve. No DXF Importer required for that (but will require additional software for creating the design and converting that design into font, as already pointed out).

    However, you will see (and understand) in the future that DXF Importer will be a necessity for getting the v-carve vector designs into Designer that were created in third-party programs (like CorelDraw, Illustrator, InkScape). I use the DXF Importer on nearly every project I create for CarveWright. I can draw quickly and with precision in programs specifically optimized for vector design. After creation, the DXF Importer is a very easy way to bring that precision into Designer!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!


    ═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

    Visit the CarveBuddy Website for Additional Exclusive Patterns and Resources

  7. #27

    Default

    Until you get the freeware don't be afraid of making your own vectors in Designer they work well. From a design point your almost better off.

    If your hard core like me i would use " import image" and hand trace the vectors then assign " Depth profile" where needed once you master its not that much work. as a bonus you will see fast carves times like center line...

    I can draw quickly and with precision in programs specifically optimized for vector design.
    I like Designer's vector tools they are important to understand especially if your using the 3D tools like the " Sweep tool"
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 02-09-2014 at 03:01 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Suffern, NY
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Short term, he can convert intricate designs to a font and use the CW Centerline function to simulate a v-carve. No DXF Importer required for that (but will require additional software for creating the design and converting that design into font, as already pointed out).

    However, you will see (and understand) in the future that DXF Importer will be a necessity for getting the v-carve vector designs into Designer that were created in third-party programs (like CorelDraw, Illustrator, InkScape). I use the DXF Importer on nearly every project I create for CarveWright. I can draw quickly and with precision in programs specifically optimized for vector design. After creation, the DXF Importer is a very easy way to bring that precision into Designer!
    I see you are revealing a bit more info here

    So, without getting too deep into what I need specifically to make the switch over to CW software to handle my vector based carves, will the fact that the DXF importer is required mean that I would be able to "split" my vector images into two halves for placement on a set of cabinet doors? I have specific examples and requirements that I would be happy to share with you for relay to LHR if you think they are interested and I could PM you that info, along with current problems that have kept me from updating to 2.x
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

    Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

  9. #29

    Default

    I would be able to "split" my vector images into two halves for placement on a set of cabinet doors?
    you can do this with 2.0 without the dxf importer.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Suffern, NY
    Posts
    376

    Default

    I asked someone to test this for me and it doesn't work the same way a pattern will. In other words, the machine attempts to carve the vector info that is overhanging the project board...

    For a history of this issue look up the thread I called " Curious machine behavior " and you should find a thread with a movie of what happens when you overhang a vector the way it would if you needed to place it across two project doors - like you would if placing a project across two cabinet doors.

    I hate to hijack someones thread since we seem to be veering of track of the original conversation but I would certainly like to see what it is you are referring to when you say it's possible to do this already. Maybe PM me and we can start a new thread more specific to the topic?
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

    Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •