Thread: Strange depth change

Default Strange depth change

See pics. This is a plaque I carved for my girlfriend. As you can see, there is a depth change in the middle of the pattern, but only on the bottom of the carve region. There was no effect on the graphic. The change appears on both sides of the graphic in about the same spot. Also attaching the MPC. That i could see there is nothing different. Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI2752.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	960.0 KB 
ID:	73564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI2754.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	941.4 KB 
ID:	73565

denette RN sign.mpc
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Looks like your bit slipped

Was it on a sled? Was there material under both rollers all of the time?
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Is the depth change 3.5 inches from the end of the board as it was in the machine? If so, the board came out from under one roller and since it was not being held FLAT to the table TILTED UP into the bit. Bit stayed the same depth but board moved closer to bit. A classic 7 inch rule of wood. It will do it on each side 3.5 inches from the end in X.

I tape scrap boards on the end and use place on end to get the location correct. That way even with a short board the end of the board is still being held by both rollers. I draw a rectangle in my artwork to show the size of the scrap and keep the artwork in the good wood.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B3.jpg   BC2.jpg   DSC00797_WEB.jpg   DSC00924_WEB.jpg  

CLK1.jpg   b2.jpg   DSC00793_WEB.jpg   DSC09787_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

No it was supported under the rollers. I had extensions attached with pocket screws so that shouldn't have been a problem. Bit slip doesn't make sense either since it changed back to the original depth on the other side of the region. Like it made a bump in the center of the region. The only thing I can think is perhaps it was due to a difference in the thickness of the material and the extensions that would cause the head to change slightly... could that be it? But do the rollers not have spring adjustment that would allow for this slight difference?
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    No it was supported under the rollers. I had extensions attached with pocket screws so that shouldn't have been a problem. Bit slip doesn't make sense either since it changed back to the original depth on the other side of the region. Like it made a bump in the center of the region. The only thing I can think is perhaps it was due to a difference in the thickness of the material and the extensions that would cause the head to change slightly... could that be it? But do the rollers not have spring adjustment that would allow for this slight difference?
    So you are saying the extension was slightly thinner than the plaque? You could do a test, make a shallow circle carve region 3.5 inches from the thickness difference and see it the bump shows up in the middle of the circle...

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com