Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you make Vector patterns?

Default How do you make Vector patterns?

Hello,
    I am ok with creating raster patterns but was wondering how you create vector patterns. For example if I wanted to carve this accent in the picture with a V bit, how would you make the pattern so the v bit goes deeper for the wider spots and shallower for the thinner lines?
    I'm not looking for anyone to do a pattern for me, this is only an example that I am trying to figure out how to do this on. Is it a software needed or can it be done with free editing programs such as gimp?
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13316045011623133051ist2_251092-curly-border.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	67435

I would like to know also
    Carvewright A machine 2007
    Carvewright C machine 2013 DC-Insert
    Mavric iMac i7 16gig latest version
    Designer 1.187, Designer 2.04, Centerline Text, Conforming Vectors, STL importer, DFX importer, Pattern Editor and probe

"Select depth profile"

The depth profile option is not available. It's there but you cant click it. Is that an add on or am I just not doing something else right?
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    "Select depth profile"

Quote Originally Posted by Robkjv1611 View Post
    The depth profile option is not available. It's there but you cant click it. Is that an add on or am I just not doing something else right?
    It will not show up until you select the vector and assign a bit to the vector.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

A lot of ppl on here would convert that to a font character, then you can just use centerline to carve it. If you search the forum you will find several threads that discuss that technique.
    Doug Fletcher

ok I am playing with it now
    Carvewright A machine 2007
    Carvewright C machine 2013 DC-Insert
    Mavric iMac i7 16gig latest version
    Designer 1.187, Designer 2.04, Centerline Text, Conforming Vectors, STL importer, DFX importer, Pattern Editor and probe

And I was going to start searching the same subject this weekend. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Robkjv1611 View Post
    Hello,
    I am ok with creating raster patterns but was wondering how you create vector patterns. For example if I wanted to carve this accent in the picture with a V bit, how would you make the pattern so the v bit goes deeper for the wider spots and shallower for the thinner lines?
    I'm not looking for anyone to do a pattern for me, this is only an example that I am trying to figure out how to do this on. Is it a software needed or can it be done with free editing programs such as gimp?
    Thanks
    You are mentioning two different things...first: How to create the vectors...second: how to v-carve those vectors

1) I do the majority of vector designs like that in CorelDraw, but any vector drawing program will do the job (Adobe Illustrator or the FREE InkScape - NOT Gimp)

2) Currently, you would then need to make those vectors a FONT, as already mentioned, for the CarveWright to be able to do a TRUE v-carving. However, you may see sometime in the not-so-distant future, converting to a font may no longer be a necessary step. However, the way you would get the vectors into Designer, would be via the DXF Importer which is an optional software I have used for many years - I could not do without it!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I was trying to do what I thought was turning a vector drawing into a pattern and could not figure it out. I created a curved shape in another software and exported it to dxf. I used DXF importer to bring it into carvewright designer where I created a carve region based on the imported curves. I'd like to save as a pattern so I can re-use it without doing the import DXF step every time I want to use it. Clicking on the extract patterns button only creates a category with nothing in it. The create pattern button is greyed out. If I import an image file then I can create a pattern.

Frederick

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast