Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slicer

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    STL Importer is accessed through Designer Software and can export as a .ptn for use in the CW. To export as an .STL format, you also need Pattern Editor software.

Slicer does not use Designer Software, it is a stand-alone. It can only export as an .stl format, which other cnc machines & 3d printers can import. It cannot export as a .ptn (CW's format for patterns.)

Again, CarveWright customers do not need to buy Slicer. It is for NON-CarveWright customers only.
    Thanks Connie.
    Steve

I didn't see this thread until afterI started another thread about slicer. So I'm assuming it's not Slic3r the software I'm using now for my 3-d printer. Dbfletcher-- I've never used netfabb but I'll have to try it out.
    thanks.

FXP
    Carwright "A" machine
    carvetight spindle
    Heavy duty Traction Belts
    Designer 1.187
    Homemade CNC machine
    Homemade 3-d printer

Netfabb basic doesn't give you the tilt and rotate capabilities of the slicing plane that Slicer has. You can only slice in one axis direction at a time. The pay version of Netfabb, that gives you some of Slicer's functions, is about $350. It's a British company so the price is in pounds and fluctuates a little now and then. Slicer is mainly designed for CNC use and its tools lend itself to that application the best, though 3D printers can definitely utilize the same tools to make larger assemblies. As this software progresses, we have plans to add many more functions to it to enhance its use.

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    I'd love to hear about the pros and cons of the newly announced "slicer". I've been using Netfabb for years for fixing, slicing, merging, and converting stl files. And oh ya... netfabb basic is still...... free.

Netfabb won't make you a ptn.
    Does Slicer?

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Does Slicer?

When I said, "Netfabb won't make you a ptn", we were talking about STL Importer. No. Slicer will not make a .ptn. People who need .ptn's (CarveWright owners) will use STL Importer. People that don't have CarveWright can use Slicer.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by jlovchik View Post
    Netfabb basic doesn't give you the tilt and rotate capabilities of the slicing plane that Slicer has. You can only slice in one axis direction at a time. The pay version of Netfabb, that gives you some of Slicer's functions, is about $350. It's a British company so the price is in pounds and fluctuates a little now and then. Slicer is mainly designed for CNC use and its tools lend itself to that application the best, though 3D printers can definitely utilize the same tools to make larger assemblies. As this software progresses, we have plans to add many more functions to it to enhance its use.
    All I will say is I don't really agree with Joe's synopsis (you absolutely can slice in any arbitrary plane... you may just have to be a little creative to get there-- rotate the object instead of rotating the plane). I would just recommend any users who are interested in buying slicer, to try the free options out there first (netfabb being just one of them). I don't own slicer so I cant do a side by side comparison, but I do own the STL importer. From personal experience I haven't run into a situation that I couldn't solve with netfabb and/or other tools. Meshlab is another great program for manipulating STL's/
    Doug Fletcher

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

I don't own slicer
    You don't have to own it to try it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12