Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probe stuck closed

Default Probe stuck closed

My probe came in, I haven't registered it yet because I wanted to make sure everything with it on my machine (wires) would work before I got stuck with it, does the software have to be registered before it'll read open? I tried a small flat test area and kept getting z-stall, read through trouble shooting and sensor says closed and will not open upon deflection. It's an older A machine, no cables have been changed, settings set to cover plug.

Sounds like the leads are shorted, or maybe the wires in the CW.
    Do you have a multimeter to check the probe with?
    If not, you could probably use some wire and a flashlight to create a continuity checker.
    If the probe has the problem, send it back; if it is the machine you will need to "get into it".

With the probe unplugged, does the machine have an option to test the probe for "open"?
    With it unplugged, it should state that if it is something the machine will report.
    If I was more ambitious, I'd go downstairs and see, but my body is unwilling.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

The first "A" machines used "Truck".... So the question is... How Early of an "A" and do you have the A907 Upgrade from the 18 pin FSC Cable to the 14 pin cable...

My probe needs a adaptor cable.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06808_WEB.jpg   DSC06806_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I have not done the upgrade and its the older cable. I have a plug on the side cover that I plugged the adapter into, but the z truck also has a nut plug looking thing on it. Tomorrow I'll see what it says with the probe unplugged.

5. Default

It does not have to be registered to scan or use it on the machine. Only when you go to use transfer the scan to your pc and pattern editor do you then need your pattern editor to be registered. It is actually pattern editor software that is registered and not the actual probe itself. The CW machine does not know or care about registration when scanning.

This picture shows the Very OLD Z Truck with the Circuit Board. The A907 removes the use of that board.

Since you have the OLD 18 pin FSC then your Probe Selection should be "Truck" as in the jack on the side of the truck.

Just a Public Service Anouncement.. IF you ever plug a new 14 pin FSC Cable into the old 18 pin Sockets, the wider pins of the 14 pin FSC Cable will short out the narrower plug pins... It will be an expensive fix... Usually burns out the Computer and the Power Supply.... They no longer sell the 18 pin cable... The only repair option is the A907 Kit... 14 pin cable and both circuit boards for each end...

Don't see many old 18 pin systems... And LHR should ASK if you ever order a FSC Cable PART... "Do you have the old 18 pin FSC Cable?"

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06291_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-02-2014 at 10:28 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    This picture shows the Very OLD Z Truck with the Circuit Board. The A907 removes the use of that board.
    AL

Hi Al,

I was just going to post a question about this Z-sensor board in the Z-truck. I just upgraded my machine to the carvetight and verified that my version A compucarve machine which I bought back in 2007 does have the A907 board with the 14 pin connector. When I installed the new Z-truck the instructions did not say anything about the Z-sensor so I just removed it from the old truck and put it on the new one. I just noticed yesterday that the portion of the Z-sensor that protrudes out from the truck had broken, however I did not notice any issues with the way the machine ran. So if I have the A-907 are you saying that I don't need to bother replacing it? I had sent the machine back to LHR in Late 2007 to fix a dead machine the first week I had it so I am wondering if they swapped in the A-907 during that service and didn't bother removing the Z-sensor from the truck.

Frederick

Quote Originally Posted by FWMiller View Post
    Hi Al,

I was just going to post a question about this Z-sensor board in the Z-truck. I just upgraded my machine to the carvetight and verified that my version A compucarve machine which I bought back in 2007 does have the A907 board with the 14 pin connector. When I installed the new Z-truck the instructions did not say anything about the Z-sensor so I just removed it from the old truck and put it on the new one. I just noticed yesterday that the portion of the Z-sensor that protrudes out from the truck had broken, however I did not notice any issues with the way the machine ran. So if I have the A-907 are you saying that I don't need to bother replacing it? I had sent the machine back to LHR in Late 2007 to fix a dead machine the first week I had it so I am wondering if they swapped in the A-907 during that service and didn't bother removing the Z-sensor from the truck.

Frederick
    It would be my guess that they did do the A907 upgrade when they had it in the shop. I also have a 2007 machine and when I was having some Z stall issues and called into tech support they verified that I did not have the upgrade and sent me the upgrade parts to install. All done while still under warranty.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Correct, with the A907 upgrade the circuit board inside the Z Truck is no longer used. See that 5 or 6 pin cable out the back, no place to hook it up when the new 14 pin circuit board is installed. That board had 3 functions... Pass the Sensor Data, another Speed Sensor, and the Homing of the Z. Sensor data now at cover, Speed Sensor no longer used, Homing sensor no longer used, the Bump the upper pin is now home.

The new castings of the Z Truck have the holes for the circuit board filled in and a heavier casting on the lower bit flag side rail bearing mount hole. They had a bad habit of snapping... the Black Washer was the temp fix.

AL

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    The new castings of the Z Truck have the holes for the circuit board filled in and a heavier casting on the lower bit flag side rail bearing mount hole. They had a bad habit of snapping... the Black Washer was the temp fix.

AL
    Does that mean I received a sub-standard casting when I purchased my "NEW" carvetight spindle? Kind of sounds like I did.

Frederick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast