Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Buying a CW?

Individuals on the Forum always have the choice to delete posts they have made using the Edit Post function.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Default drinking from a firehose

Greetings to everyone who ends up reading this post. I found a used CW online, and bought it yesterday. I am very excited to learn how to use it, and do believe that there are currently no presidents in the forums (here) about building skateboards, and skateboard molds with the Carvewright. That is primarily what I will be using the machine for, and will certainly discover the limits of its capability soon. I will be starting a new thread, as soon as my membership is approved, and will elaborate, but for now, I wish to begin rubbing virtual elbows with those who have come before me. Thank you for laying the ground work.

There are no threads about the 3/8" straight cut bit. Most of my mold building will not require much finite detail at all. (only gentle curves) I see many people complaining about breaking bits. Will the 3/8 be my champion?

Many of my projects will be 4ft long, and will require lots of cutting. Most molds will be cut from MDF.

Thanks again for reading my post, any info will be devoured.

3. Default

If I buy another machine, will my add ons on my 0ld machine work with new machine (like conforming vectors.centerline text etc.) Thanks Bert

Quote Originally Posted by papawbummie View Post
    If I buy another machine, will my add ons on my 0ld machine work with new machine (like conforming vectors.centerline text etc.) Thanks Bert
    Your good to go, software is independent of the machine..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

5. Default

Thanks Bert

Quote Originally Posted by opensores View Post
    Greetings to everyone who ends up reading this post. I found a used CW online, and bought it yesterday. I am very excited to learn how to use it, and do believe that there are currently no presidents in the forums (here) about building skateboards, and skateboard molds with the Carvewright. That is primarily what I will be using the machine for, and will certainly discover the limits of its capability soon. I will be starting a new thread, as soon as my membership is approved, and will elaborate, but for now, I wish to begin rubbing virtual elbows with those who have come before me. Thank you for laying the ground work.

There are no threads about the 3/8" straight cut bit. Most of my mold building will not require much finite detail at all. (only gentle curves) I see many people complaining about breaking bits. Will the 3/8 be my champion?

Many of my projects will be 4ft long, and will require lots of cutting. Most molds will be cut from MDF.

Thanks again for reading my post, any info will be devoured.
    Greetings and welcome! The 3/8" bit if it is the one with the 1/2" shaft will not break like the 1/8" cutting bit and is a good one for doing pocket cuts like you will be doing for your skate board molds. You should not be overly aggressive with your cuts though and doing the cuts with a max pass setting would be recommended.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Will that translate to a .125" pass depth?

Quote Originally Posted by opensores View Post
    Will that translate to a .125" pass depth?
    What is your total depth that you will be carving? I usually start out with a depth of .200 depending on the material I am carving.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

1 and 2 inches will he regular.

I recommend that you invest in the 3D modeling package so you can extrude the curves you will need and maybe add nubs on the back to attach hardware and stuff like that.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast