Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z Truck Bolts

Default Z Truck Bolts

Hi Everyone.
    I just started a 21 Hour carve. Its a bar top for my friend. It has taken me almost a year and a half to get everything together and worked out to get it made, and its going great. BUT, about an hour in to the carve a heard a funny noise and investigated to find that the z truck was flopping around like crazy. The lower left hand bearing bolt had snapped the head off. I stopped the carve. I, luckily, have a second machine. I "stole" the matching bearing and bolt from my second machine so that I could continue the carve. I had just ordered new bearings and had them setting on my work bench and went to them first for replacement. The send me phillips head screws with the new bearings but the old bearings are held on with hex head bolt/screws. I am going to search for a replacement bolt for my second machine but I was wondering when the change was made to phillips head screws and if I can get the right screws from LHR or if I am on my own to find the replacement, oh and its Saturday, so no help from LHR today. Anyone who can help it would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Josh Link
    J. D. Link Designs
    www.jdlinkdesigns.com

The original screws were phillips head screws and they transitioned over to the allen head screws. You can get them at any big box store. I've found the Ace Hardware is a good source.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

thanks Floyd. I got a few screws at Home Depot and a few washers. I replaced the bearing I used off of my second machine. I haven't run anything yet but I think it should work.
    thanks Again!
    Josh Link
    J. D. Link Designs
    www.jdlinkdesigns.com

Your welcome !
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Glad that's settled .... Good Job Josh N Floyd ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

I did not like the idea of using Loctite that then made it impossible to get the Z truck back off without destroying something. I found some Allen head Nylock screws that are easy to use and the nylon patch keeps them from loosening up. Take a look at: http://www.soigeneris.com/carvewrigh...s-details.aspx . I added them to my website as you can't buy less than 100 of them at a time and most people don't have 25 CarveWright machines
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Thanks Jeff, that is a good idea, and is kind of you to offer them.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Are these machine screws not metric? (Part 51 - Machine Screw - CSK Head, M5 x 14mm Long, Special M4 head)

Also, I have problems with small Allen head screws. They also strip and when they do, it is over. At least with Phillips, you can press harder and get a grip. The method I use is:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20413-250-Maintenance-Requirements&p=176044#post176044

The original CW screws are M5 and the Nylocks I sell are 10-32. When I first pulled one of the screws out of my machine I used calipers and a thread gauge to identify the screw as a 10-32, and later realized it was actually metric. The odd thing is that the M5 and 10-32 are nearly identical, they are so close in fact that over the length of the screw the difference in thread pitch is within the machining tolerance, i.e. you would not be able to measure it nor would it make any difference. I've used these myself for 3+ years now and have sold hundreds of them and have never heard of anyone stripping the Allen head or have any other sort of issue using them.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Josh,

Little off topic but your website is having issues.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast