Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Piece Carving

Default 2 Piece Carving

Looking for some feedback to see if I've done this correctly. I want to make this a bigger sign so I've made it in 2 pieces, but I've never done this before. Looking for a little feedback/recommendations to see if it looks OK to carve and then glue up. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camel Well Plaque.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Jerry,

I've never split a carve either, but that isn't stopping me from showing my ignorance!
    I see no problem if your boards are wide enough to still have roller support at the well in the bottom piece.
    If you have rails on each side of a 1X12 (usually about 11-1/4" wide in my experience) you should be good-to-go as far as I can tell.
    I would just be concerned that the roller could drop at that point with just a 1X12 board.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Need help to find pattern of two side race horse running alone with good detail. it's for my family that has stable and is vet. Was ask if could make sign i'm thinking about 13" horses on both ends of the sign. with company name and address below. first row has the horse on the ends with the name on a peace about 14"X 12' X1.5 second board about 14"X 8' X 1.5' and the last line to say the street address. the lettering going to be 10" square. the horses will be done in walnut and the body of the sign would like to do in cedar. or white ash. need help with the horses haven't found any that are two sided that will look good. thanks. lvwood las vegas woodworker.

Default Try this Horse

Horse 3.mpc Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horse 3.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	67698

Maybe a horse like this?

You should be able to work with that and turn it in to a 2 sided carve.

Quote Originally Posted by lvwood1212 View Post
    Need help to find pattern of two side race horse running alone with good detail. it's for my family that has stable and is vet. Was ask if could make sign i'm thinking about 13" horses on both ends of the sign. with company name and address below. first row has the horse on the ends with the name on a peace about 14"X 12' X1.5 second board about 14"X 8' X 1.5' and the last line to say the street address. the lettering going to be 10" square. the horses will be done in walnut and the body of the sign would like to do in cedar. or white ash. need help with the horses haven't found any that are two sided that will look good. thanks. lvwood las vegas woodworker.
    Last edited by chebytrk; 02-21-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Default Did it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-07 17.32.34.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	67697

Well I finally made my first 2 piece carving. I used "textured" sand color paint to give it a little "umph" at the Camel's feet and some textured paint on the stones at the well. LOL Didn't turn out too bad and my friends enjoyed it. Thanks to all for their help and advice..

The sign turned out really nice. Good work!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Nicely done Jerry! That turned out really great.

Nice job Jerry, it should look great over the oasis. Next time I'm in DFW may have to stop by for some camels milk and see it.

Any time amigo. Come on by and we'll sit out in the Oasis by the well. LOL
    I'm having fun and staying busy with the Shrine here in Dallas. Presently working on the Shrine Circus that's happening here next month. 5 Day event, 3 shows per day, 15 performances per show! Being Circus Daddy is keeping me on my toes! LOL Setting up a special morning performance for all Special Needs kids and I'm pretty stoked about that. Seems like a bunch of Special Needs schools found out all at once and they're all wanting in! LOL Gotta work it... gotta make it work. Only have 4600 seats in the arena so wish me luck! It's all good and all about the kids! Fun times... I think I enjoy walking around looking at the kids more than the circus acts. Their faces.... priceless.... especially the 1st timers! I've made arrangements this year to pick a couple of kids and take them to the back and meet BO...... the Bull Elephant. Yup... happy .. happy ... happy

Quote Originally Posted by tcough3475 View Post
    Nice job Jerry, it should look great over the oasis. Next time I'm in DFW may have to stop by for some camels milk and see it.

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-07 17.32.34.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	67697

Well I finally made my first 2 piece carving. I used "textured" sand color paint to give it a little "umph" at the Camel's feet and some textured paint on the stones at the well. LOL Didn't turn out too bad and my friends enjoyed it. Thanks to all for their help and advice..
    Nice job Jerry. I can't even see where the two pieces are joined.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast