Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Piece Carving

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Nice job Jerry. I can't even see where the two pieces are joined.

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    Looking for some feedback to see if I've done this correctly. I want to make this a bigger sign so I've made it in 2 pieces, but I've never done this before. Looking for a little feedback/recommendations to see if it looks OK to carve and then glue up. Thanks.
    I have never done a split carve either, did you do the layout the same as you posted or did you add to the edges to where it joins then using a table saw to get the two boards to match. I heard of it being done like that I'm not sure that is why I ask ... Great job!!!!
    Last edited by aokweld101; 02-21-2014 at 02:26 PM.

I looked at your patterns and the pattern Is not to the center of the board it is offset some I tried to see what you had as a offset but the grids wouldn't line up.

Actually, you're correct in that they didn't line up just right. I fudged, tugged, cussed, sanded, cussed, fudged some more. I actually eye balled it to line up where I wanted it. I don't even have a jointer so I just sanded it (eye-balled) up even, roughed up the joining edges a little with a my dremmel and rough bit that I have so the tight bond II glue would take. I glued it up, I sanded and cussed a little more , sealed it, cussed again and applied some wood restorer on it all, let it dry and started painting. After the paint, I sprayed a clear coat and it worked. I'm SURE that there was a MUCH easier way to do this (lining it all up), but it worked out ok. All in all it worked out and besides since I speak 3 languages I had plenty of cuss words to brush up on and use. LOL
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

I understand that you leave .5 from the center of the board and start the center of the pattern at .5 in.. that way you take a table saw and cut the .5 off and your pattern should line up if I'm wrong some one will chime in and say so... ( I hope ) Tom (easybuild) has done these maybe he will Chime in and tell us, If we are right or wrong...
    Last edited by aokweld101; 02-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.

6. Default

I always over lap the patterns about 1/4 inch or more. Then I take a saw blade or less off at a time from one or both and just keep fine tuning it until they line up perfect. I have always gotten excellent results this way. I always use the best blade I have and just take my time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12