Thread: Going to buy a new computer, what do I need under the hood?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Going to buy a new computer, what do I need under the hood?

So my shop comp is an old desktop XP variety. I'm getting some spare money and figured it would be a good time to upgrade. What would be the best upgrade for running carvewright software? Laptop or desktop? Windows 7 or 8? Ram, graphics card, processor? I'm looking for pretty detailed info here. Thanks in advance.
    -Jason

Consider a Mac. You will save in the long run by not having to buy expensive software, upgrades and virus scanners.
    Carvewright A machine 2007
    Carvewright C machine 2013 DC-Insert
    Mavric iMac i7 16gig latest version
    Designer 1.187, Designer 2.04, Centerline Text, Conforming Vectors, STL importer, DFX importer, Pattern Editor and probe

3. Default

I disagree with the mac I would go with windows, as you grow and want more software for cw related tasks you will have more options and the prices for windows versions can be less than mac. LHR also seems to do better with windows upgrades and fixes and the software works better on windows. Windows 8 is good and the newer upgrades and fixes have taken care of earlier issues. It will require some learning curve but you have the choice to make it look more like the windows you are used to or learn the new version. You will enjoy windows 8 much better if you have a touch screen.

Don't ask me why, I just don't like apple.
    -Jason

I run Ver 2.004 on a windows machine at work and an IMac at home. I do most of my design work at home because the mac handles the program better. It is smoother in operation and it is faster.... As far as LHR upgrades - I upgrade both my machines at the same time and I have never had a problem with either machine. 6 years ago I was very apprehensive about getting a MAC, but guess what. I am still using the same machine at home but I have replaced many parts and entire windows computers at work. Hmmm, everyone has their own experiences and opinion.
    Custom Built Quilt Hangers and Quilt Racks.

I have used Designer on both Mac and PC and have not had too many issues with either one. But windows 8 on a non-touch screen sucks, but with Start8 it functions like "old" windows with a start menu which makes it much easier to navigate. I do not have the 2.X version of designer though.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

well i kinda splurged. i got a toshiba 17.3" laptop. it is quite a beast, core i7, 8 gig ram, 750 gb hard drive, 1080 display. the only drawback is it has integrated graphics. i dont know if thats good or bad, but it runs designer great. when i get 2.0, 3d and 2d add ons ill have a better idea of how it will handle the program.
    -Jason

Jason, that laptop will do great for you
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie