Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable collector opinions

Quote Originally Posted by tlipome View Post
    Thank you for the replies. I just purchased the Grizzly G0710 1HP collector and a 3 micron bag. Now I will have to wait for my DC insert and collector to arrive so I can get back to creating. I ordered some 1 meter LED strips and transformers off Ebay and picked up a sheet of HDPE from a local plastic supplier. Now I just need my wife to decide which photos she wants made into lithopanes.
    That should work very well for you, I know a local guy who has one and it works very well for him. Just make sure you empty and clean the bag often to maintain maximum suction.

I shipped your order out today so you should be carving in a couple of days. Thanks for the order.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I've been using this auto switch with my HF DC and works good. http://www.sears.com/auto-switch/p-00924031000P#

I have never made a Litho but having a sharp bit is important.... Order some soon....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I bought a couple of bits from Eagle- so far so good!!

CNC, does the Sears switch turn the DC on when the CW is turned on or does it wait for the cutting motor?
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

jaroot, check with Jerry B. he has a switch system and I'm not sure of the type, but both the dust collector and Cw plug
    into it and when the CW quits the vac system shuts down right after.
    Maybe be he will chime on this subject, what do you say "Jerry B."
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

I have the craftsman one.. it only fires up the DC (or other accessories) when the cut motor is on.
    Doug Fletcher

I have tried both switches and here is my experiences:
    Both switches will work good for a while.
    Both will power on the DC when the cut motor comes on and have a delayed shutoff.
    The one from Sears doesn't last as long but, is a good switch.
    I currently use the Ivac and have had good luck with it . They generally last about 200 hours.

The problem with both switches is they are rated at 15 amps. When the CW and the DC are running the combined amperage cannot exceed 15 amps. I have a 650 cfm Jet DC and with my system the combined amperage is about 13 amps and seems to work okay. If other DCs draw enough amps to exceed the capacity of the switch it probably won't last very long if it works at all.
    Steve

I posted about this iSocket a while back about how it has a Transistor or Triac or SCR very similar to the Q1 on the Termination Board that turns on and off the Cut Motor. While it works fine for the Cut Motor as it is sized correct. A Similar Transistor on a iSocket will likely be used on a Dust Collector or Blower. It is more designed for a small Shop Vac....

I remcommend a simple fix for this....

What you do is buy a small Wall Wort Transformer that will plug into the iSocket in the Dust collector outlet. So when the machine is plugged into the outlet that activates the iSocket it will turn on the Wall Wort.... A very LOW Current Draw part... Making the iSocket last for years and years.... Now the Wall Wort is then used to power a Proper RELAY with the ability to handle the Current of a Blower... It can even be wired to turn on and off a 220 volt unit.... It is all about the relay... They make such relays and they can be had at most electrical supply stores... That along with a few Junction Boxes and heavy cords and plugs that fit the Dust Collector... you have a good setup....

They use that BIG Chunk of Aluminum to act as a Heat Sink to dissipate the heat of powering a Blower through a small device... HEAT is what kills the iSocket.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01996_WEB.jpg   DSC01998_WEB.jpg   DSC02001_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 01-24-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Yup.... that's the ISocket that I use with my system. I bought it at Rockler(sp) for about $30. I've had it for years and it's always worked fine for me. I plug in the CW and the DC in to it. When the project is done carving the CW turns off and a few seconds later the DC shuts off. Later I learned that instead of the CW staying turned on, I could set (in options somewhere) so the CW turns off after a set time too. So..... that's what I use and it works great for me. Now I just step out in to my garage and listen and look out on the side of my wood shop to see if my DC is still blowing sawdust out. If it's not, my project is done. I ran the 4" hose on the DC thru the shop floor and out the side (got tired of emptying the bag or emptying the trash can). It all works good for me!
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12