Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable collector opinions

Default Portable collector opinions

Hi all,

I just purchased the DC Insert and was looking for input on portable dust collectors. I have been using my shop vac when the CW is in the basement for the Western NY winters. The shop vac is loud and I have burned out 1 motor due to long run times. I have a full sized collection unit in my garage but I can't get that into the basement because the basement is height challenged (built in 1850 with tree trunk columns and tree limb floor joists). I was considering the 13 gallon 1`HP unit from Harbor Freight. I looked through the reviews on Harbor Freight's site and they weren't too bad. What are your thoughts opinions or comments? Thanks in advance.

Todd
    http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gall...tor-31810.html

1 hp grizzly is compact. Brushless I believe as well. Worked well for me until I upgraded to the 2 hp grizzly.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Todd,

A lot of carves do use that harbor freight dust collector. Just be aware that the bag filter has a large micron rating so it will let fine dust back into your carving area.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

We use a HF portable. Worked pretty good and like FW said it is a cheap bag. Went quite awhile until the brushes wore out. It did come with a spare set. Of course I couldn't find them when I needed them so I had to order another set. I did put a home made dust separator which reduced the suction to the CW but the bag doesn't fill up as quick and I can use it on my planer now because the shavings drop into the separator instead of piling up on the fan screen. Since we put the carvetight chuck on the CW the dust collector is louder than the CW.
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

I've used one for 6 months and works great.

That is the one I have and I would purchase it again. Been using it for about 2 years now with no problems. I don't think you have to worry about dust particles with standard bag but you could always get a note bag if it's a concern. Maybe if you carve MDF you should consider it.
    Custom Cabinets built with the help of my Carvewright - Custom Dart Cabinets

Please don't hi-jack threads and take them off topic.. it makes using the search function very difficult and doesn't help get your, or the original posters concerns addressed.

I have that DC from Harbor Freight and it works great with Floyd's Insert.

I'm using a 5 micron bag bag from Rockler and will be trying out a 3 micron bag on my next Carve.

Kenny

Like everyone said... the most important thing is the micron size... Especially since you are using it in the People Space....

The Very Finest Dust is what kills you later in life....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thank you for the replies. I just purchased the Grizzly G0710 1HP collector and a 3 micron bag. Now I will have to wait for my DC insert and collector to arrive so I can get back to creating. I ordered some 1 meter LED strips and transformers off Ebay and picked up a sheet of HDPE from a local plastic supplier. Now I just need my wife to decide which photos she wants made into lithopanes.

You might also be interested in the ivac auto shut off switch
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...FTCCQgodQwwAkQ

I have a Jet 650 cfm DC. Works great but, they wear out after awhile.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast