Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First big project

Default First big project

This wasn't a very difficult project, but it was the biggest I've taken on. My sons school had a new sign marquee installed this past year. The principle was telling us one day the reason it wasn't finished was the cost for the actual school sign was going to be $4,000 out of his budget. He said he would rather buy new iPads for the kids to use instead of buying a $4,000 sign. So, I told him him if he could buy the wood, I would engrave it. Might not be as nice as a $4,000 sign, but kids have a sign and iPads now! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	615.9 KB 
ID:	66972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	652.0 KB 
ID:	66973

Very cool. Sometimes simplicity makes the best signs.
    Steve

Looks great, I'm sure it has more class than the $4,000 one!

4. Default

That was really great of you to do this. The schools need all the help they can get.

My daughter is a teacher and I can tell you that they need all the help they can get.
    Nice job.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Great job on the sign and volunteering your time!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Their are 5 elementary schools in the city we live in. All of them are run different because of the Principles. Franklin School, is so fun for the kids. The Principle here is a great man who really is interested in the kids overall learning experience. Every year he holds what is called Pioneer Week (only school in Wadsworth to do this). He has a local farmer bring in sheep and baby cows, to show the kids how they used to milk cows and sheer sheep. He also has someone come in and spin yarn from the sheep and then knit something. Kids bring in tons off apples all week. The last 2 days someone comes in with a cider press and they make apple cider and apple butter. They also have a huge kettle over an open fire that the classes take turns sitting around and they make big batches of kettle corn to eat while the indian lady who has set up real life size teepees takes kids through the teepees and explains how and why they were built. He has it set up so each year K-4 they learn a little something extra. Kids can't wait for Pioneer Week! I have had 2 boys go through this school, my youngest this is his last year. My wife and I are going to miss the fun as much as the kids are going to miss it. So I thought hey if I can donate a little time and save the school some money, why not. Thanks for all the compliments. My older son, who has not been in Franklin for 4 years now, was super excited to help me hang these signs as a way of telling the Principle thanks for everything you did when I was in school at Franklin.

Signs look great but I'm more impressed by your discription of the school. If only they all could be that way. It's amazing how the imagination and dedication of one person can motivate the entire school, parents included. Wonderful that you could and would step up and your son will always have that memory. We often forget that the kids are our future.

Rick H

Great sign for a great cause. Out here in the country we obtained funds to build an Agriculture Building. Where we store the animals for the 4H students which is popular. Our town in the whole county is under 2000. A lot of donations was made for that building.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast