Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed, Please

1. Default Help needed, Please

I've been carving with the CW for a little over a year and have been running by and large on luck. I've turned out some beautiful work. But from time to time, I get a result I wasn't expecting. I think I might have broken the "7 inch rule" here, but need some guidance before I commit some pricy lumber to task. I bought two sets of Navy Wings from a reputable guy associated here. I set up the project with a set of wings on either side of a text block. The overall project was 29" and the scrap I fed the CW was 32". Everything carved as expected except for the one set of wings (on the left) that has a emblem that should be round but it came out as an oval on a vertical axis. I've attached photos. interestingly, I think the warfare wings carved out in a correct ratio, while the aircrew wings seemed to distort. Would appreciate any guidance. The project looked great on screen in Designer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails navy wings 1.JPG   navy wings 2.JPG   navy wings 3.JPG  

Those wings are skewed up and down a bit. Does the mpc in designer look correct?
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Did you allow any Scaling? Scaling can distort patterns on a board that are "locked" into a specific position during layout. The preview in Designer would look just fine and normal, but if you allow scaling at the machine...heaven only knows what is going to come out of it! You mentioned you may have broken the 7" Rule...this can open you up to a host of problems.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

4. Default

Screen resolution of the monitor can make an object look right on screen when it is actually oval when in the right screen resolution of the monitor. I noticed this when I got my new wide screen monitor and had the wrong resolution. I was trying to draw a constrained circle but it was looking like an oval.

You can find if your using your monitors correct resolution usually by pressing the menu button on your monitor, and then setting it up in the operation systems settings.

I'm still betting Scaling was at fault. I might lose the bet, but it will be interesting to find out what the issue was, either way.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

6. Default Regarding scaling

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Did you allow any Scaling? Scaling can distort patterns on a board that are "locked" into a specific position during layout. The preview in Designer would look just fine and normal, but if you allow scaling at the machine...heaven only knows what is going to come out of it! You mentioned you may have broken the 7" Rule...this can open you up to a host of problems.
    I am afraid I don't know if I allowed scaling. I did allow for centering because of the extra length. I'll run the setup again and take note. I did check my monitor resolution and it's optimized. But it's never happened before. In fact, It worked earlier with the same wings.

7. Default

All the response are great. I thank you all for getting on this with me. I'm going to run setup again, without actually starting the job. Then I'll have a more detailed response.

8. Default

I went through setup and I did, in fact, select Scale to board. I will run it again and select the "Keep original size" command. Will it make a difference if I select "center on board" command as well? I'll wait until tomorrow after the "Day Job" to run this again.

This is the first time I've used the forum and I couldn't be more pleased. Thank You all so much.

I know I'll be back. I got the scanning probe and bought the Editor software but haven't had the guts to attempt using it. The video on the CW homepage wasn't "all that" in a confidence builder. I've done a little simplistic digitizing and used "Editor" to refine the work. But, I've gotten clearances from the "better half" to go to Texas in June for some in person learning at the conference.

Just a suggestion - when you do raster carving, I think it looks sharper sitting on the floor of a carved out area, and if you flip the feather of the area (no feather on the text or graphics) you have a nice frame. And use a small draft for the text and set the bit optimization the best for text and graphics. My opinion. If you board is not long enough, hot glue a 4" piece to each end. Save a lot of wood that way.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

10. Default Good advise...

Quote Originally Posted by cestout View Post
    Just a suggestion - when you do raster carving, I think it looks sharper sitting on the floor of a carved out area, and if you flip the feather of the area (no feather on the text or graphics) you have a nice frame. And use a small draft for the text and set the bit optimization the best for text and graphics. My opinion. If you board is not long enough, hot glue a 4" piece to each end. Save a lot of wood that way.
    Clint
    Yours and everyone else have provided a great deal of input and good advise. Thanks very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast