Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shawn's Sword

Default Shawn's Sword - finished with paintjob

The recent video with the sword reminded me that I needed to make a sword for a friend/neighbor who has been bugging me for one for a while now (it has gotten to be a running joke..."when can you make my sword?" He'll ask, "I've already made it, it's in the shop man, give me a beer and then let's go and get it". He has never really had an expectation to get the sword, and it really is a fun and running joke between us.

This joke has been going on a while... almost 4 years....

At any rate, he moved away about a year ago but is coming back for a visit and I thought I'd suprise him, FINALLY, with his sword.

I used a hilt from an STL, adjusted it a little to my liking, then seperately (using outline) used the 3d tools to create a bevel for the blade itself (like in the video, but instead of drawing a blade, I used a pre-existing blade shape that was not suitably shaped. He is a HUGE vikings fan so I thought the name/viking would work for him. The sword is two sided, and the backside does not have the flat for the name, but is just "sword shaped"

At any rate, here is the pic,

And the carve

Tomorrow I'll give it a paint job. The viking was very small (about 1.5 inches x 2 inches) and I could not get a regular pattern to look good at that size so I created a dingbat and then used centerline on it... very faint centerline. This gave me a guide to use a woodburning tool to trace the pattern in darker. I started to do the name/letters too but after half a letter decided to just color it in with paint later.

The carve was done in pi.. pi.. pin...
    ...lumberyard domestic conifer (I really dislike pine)

The whole thing will be given a metallic paint job. The hilt will be wrapped in leather. I'll post more pics once I'm done.

Thanks for looking, and as always your comments are appreciated.

Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrence; 07-22-2012 at 08:28 PM.

nice very impressive ,,if I had that pattern would like to try that one but I guest you need the sofeware ,,witch I don't have
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Very nice Lawrence. Bet that is going to look nice when it's done. When I saw your sword I recall Ken making a Shield a while back that even had the set up for the forearm and hand grip on the inside of the shield. Now that would make the set complete & you could provide this for persons that do these Renasaince(sp) festivals. Cha-ching!!! $$$$. Great job Amigo!
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Now that is really nice looking. Great Job Lawrence!

Very nice Lawrence,
    And this is from a collector of arms and armor. He'll really appreciate the personalization. Looking forward to the finished photos.
    I've been meaning to scan this Napoleonic artillery sword (cabbage cutter) and you may have kicked me over the edge to get it done. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glaive 02.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	54889 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glaive 03.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	766.1 KB 
ID:	54890 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glaive 05.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	679.4 KB 
ID:	54892 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glaive 06.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	676.9 KB 
ID:	54893
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Glaive 04.jpg  
    Last edited by Capt Bruce; 07-22-2012 at 09:50 AM.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

The sword came out super, Lawrence. Great job!! The comment about pi..pi... made me smile. Thanks for the chuckle....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Outstanding workmanship ! Time well spent. Take your bow, sir.

Capt Barry

What?!? No display case?

Beautiful job Lawrence. I like the way you constantly think outside of the box (is there a box?)
    Your level of creativity challenges us to step up our game, well at least for me it does.

Keep up the great work!
    ~ Mark K

Well done!

Hey Lawrence that sword is awesome! But I see something in your picture i have been looking for! Do you have a pattern for your table saw insert?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast