Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carving Past Center on the Rotary Jig

Great job, that's what I wanted to do. Do you have the Carvetight chuck or the Rock?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    They said it could not be done! Time might run in reverse if one goes past the singularity at the center!

Well, I finally got it to work. With the new deep carving bits and 2.004, it is possible to carve past the center of the 2" dowel. I was able to carve the backside of the ropes by going deep between the other ropes. The carving direction reverses when carving past center. It was an interesting experiment. One thing it showed was that draft does not work on the rotary jig when you get near center. It is even worse if you go past center. Notice how the taper took out the sides of the ropes. No amount of draft would have changed that as it all collapses to the center. Very interesting.

(Note that the mpc is 2.004.)
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

ER20M spindle. It would not matter as long as you can hold the long bit above the bit plate.

Good morning Bergerud and Happy New Year,

How about one more challenge for the new year. Not my carving and I do not know how to credit the creator. As far as I know this was done by hand but you seem to be up to this level . . . and since we now have the long bits in our toolboxes . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wood puzzle.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	66730

Thanks for all you contribute here on the Forum Dan.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Wow, that is a work of art. I cannot see the CW carving that one! I had a hard enough time with the simple trefoil knot. I have often wondered, however, it the CW could save an artist a lot of time and get him started by carving the "envelope" of things like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12