Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotary jig not quite working

Default Rotary jig not quite working

Well I was going to try my rotary jig today but it's not quite working. It's asking for the thickness of the board which I don't see in the instructions but I entered 3/4 anyway. The machine starts to air carve (bit doesn't go down) and it rolls out the flat panel out of the machine. My board in Designer is 14 x 6.727 x 3/4 with a carving area of 12 x 12. Ed or someone, could use your help!

It sounds like something is not set up correctly since it is air carving. Make sure that you are installing the jig correctly after the machine starts the carve. If it is not set on the frame correctly then it does not come in contact with the flat panel.

Not sure when Skeeterman got the jig but early on Ed had the first users make a small modification on the bottom of the two side rails. We had to notch out a small area where the rails sit on the squaring plate to get more clearance for the screw heads.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

It might be the problem but the truck is not moving at all and the bit is spinning like it's carving. The traction belts just keep rolling and spit out the flat panel.

I have seen this behavior before. The bit spinning and not carving happens when the belts move but the brass roll does not. The machine is waiting for the brass roller to move. When it moves, the truck will go down and start carving. See if there is a reason for the brass roller not moving.

If not mistaking the flat board must be sitting on the brass roller. If not then it will do as Dan mentioned. Therefore the whole jig is not positioned in the CW properly. Left side rails must be on the keyboard side plate, right? I do not own the jig so only guessing from what I know of the the jig operations.
    Last edited by eelamb; 12-11-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    If not mistaking the flat board must be sitting on the brass roller. If not then it will do as Dan mentioned. Therefore the whole jig is not positioned in the CW properly. Left side rails must be on the keyboard side plate, right? I do not own the jig so only guessing from what I know of the the jig operations.
    Yes the 2 vertical rails of the jig sit on the squaring plate and the opposite side plate. They should set flush on top of the plates. An early modification that was needed was to cut two slots (one on each rail) so that the screw heads were not raising up the side rails off of the plates. If this is not done then the jig is not putting the right pressure on the flat panel.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I purchased the jig the first week it was available , and i do remember that there was supose to be a modification to the jig after we had gotten them , i had mentioned this in a post earlier but was told that no modification was needed, so i guess i wasnt dreaming this lol. I never did anything with it , lt just sat around in shop for a couple of years so if there was to be a modification it never was done.
    hope this helps Zan
    Start U Member

Well here is my first rotary carve.........and no I'm not sharing that pattern cause it was way too much work........hahahahah So I assume the modification has to be done on the right hand side (guide). Sure hope that is the problem cause I don't have much hair left.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG457.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterman View Post
    I purchased the jig the first week it was available , and i do remember that there was supose to be a modification to the jig after we had gotten them , i had mentioned this in a post earlier but was told that no modification was needed, so i guess i wasnt dreaming this lol. I never did anything with it , lt just sat around in shop for a couple of years so if there was to be a modification it never was done.
    hope this helps Zan
    When I was sent the jig, I just put it in the machine and it worked. I was not aware of any modification that was required for any that were sent out before I got mine.

Perhaps there is a link that describes the "fix" somewhere on the forum that Suzanne might find handy if this one needs modification? EDIT: I see Floyd described the mod...any photos of the mod might help Suzanne further. Picture is worth a thousand words, ya know.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I do not think the fix was ever posted. I remember it had to do with bolt head clearance on the the squaring plate. The jig was made for an A machine and the bolt heads had somehow changed. I would think that there would be marks on the jig now where the bolts hit. A close look at these marks and how the jig fits and it should not be too hard to fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast