Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Issue with carving cribbage boards

1. Default

I know some older machines will not make a cribbage board no matter what you try. My first machine is an "A" model. It works great for everything except cribbage boards. They are more than it can handle. It starts off fine does all the carving and lines but when it starts the holes it does a few just fine, then like a drunk, it starts to stagger then falls. A few holes are randomly misplaced then it dies with an x axis error. I never have figured out what the problem is. Either its computer cant handle that many elements or x servo system somewhere. So I use it for other things but not crib boards.

That is why, in one of my first posts to you, I asked if it was an "A" model machine. Maybe some of the "B" and "C" models might do the same, I don't know.

My A Machine makes beautiful Cribbage Boards!

3. Default

I know some do and some don't. I don't think it was a big enough issue for LHR to pursued the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    I know some do and some don't. I don't think it was a big enough issue for LHR to pursued the cause.
    Lol, I guess it is only an issue if your the poor guy with the machine that won't do it.

I do not know if I believe that. There has to be a reason for the inaccuracy. Tight bearing, back lash, dirty encoder, or something. I do not believe in gremlins!

I'll try a complete machine cleaning and also checking everything this weekend. The head pressure adjustment helped a lot. Only thing is when I first adjusted it, it was at over 80. I did one carve and it is back down in the 60's. Any idea what might cause this?

Check Head Level too....

Dust Collection...?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I do not have dust collection. How does a person check the head level?

Quote Originally Posted by atldal View Post
    I do not have dust collection. How does a person check the head level?
    2 ways....

Place two boards inside the machine that are the same thickness on each side as in keyboard and bit flag. Make sure they are under both rollers and are the same thickness. One WIDE board will work too... You want to be at both sides of the sand paper or rubber belts.

Place a strip of paper on each board side and crank the head down. Pull on the paper.... IF one side pulls out easy it must be high....

OR.... Leave the same boards in the machine cranked down.

Put a bit in your machine.

Raise the Z Head all the way up and touch the Mechanical Stop Pin on the Z and hold it. On the Keypad call up Senor Data and Z Data. When you call up Z Data it will read 0000 where ever the head is when you call it up as it is a COUNTER of Pulses. Having the head up in the mechanical stop lets you have 0000 at top dead center. Move the head and touch the bit to both boards and look at the numbers.

Remember the Encoder is just pulses as it moves... Z normal home is up and bump the top pin and Y is bump the Keyboard side.

IF you find the head is not level.... It could have been caused by the Cross Connect under the machine where the hand crank is transfered to the far side to the jacking shaft.

To level remove the screw holding the Cross Connect and adjust one side until level. Sometimes the SCREWS holding the two 45 degree Gears together become loose and slip a tooth making the head NOT LEVEL.

REMEMBER.... WITH the Power ON using the Z Data.... IF you remove the bottom of the machine you can get SHOCKED or KILLED by the Power Supply or Wiring.... USE CAUTION....

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06551a_WEB.jpg   DSC03699_WEB.jpg   DSC03699a_WEB.jpg   DSC03663_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123