Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CT Adapters Move Easily with Heat

I did this today Dan thanks for the information! I did get one that I could not get to move was red hot and no go I going to heat it and then press it next...

Can the CT adapters be used on a non-carbide bit? I bought a set of QC bits when on closeout from Sears and would like to use the 60 degree non-carbide bit. Have a broken CT bit that I can try the "heat removal" technique - but is it appropriate to move it to the non-carbide bit?

Thanks!

keninar
    Ya gotta have a dream - otherwise you're just sleeping!

for the CarveWright V bits you can just use the split collet adapter http://store.carvewright.com/product...cat=294&page=1
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Ok. Thanks. Was wondering if I could go the other way: ct collar on a steel shank. Have an extra ct collar from a broken carving bit. Heated it and it slipped right off. Can I use it on a steel shank? (Don't have a spli collar on hand)
    Thanks!

I don't think it will grip it hard enough and you need the 1/4" rubber stop collars.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by keninar View Post
    Ok. Thanks. Was wondering if I could go the other way: ct collar on a steel shank. Have an extra ct collar from a broken carving bit. Heated it and it slipped right off. Can I use it on a steel shank? (Don't have a spli collar on hand)
    Thanks!
    You may be able to use it. Size is very important. It must measure like 0.2500 ± 0.0002". 10 thousandths matter. Compare the shank size to the broken carbide bit. If is "exactly" the same size, it will work. (As a test to be sure, heat up the adapter, slide it on close to where you want it. Wait until it cools down and then press it on the rest of the way in a vise. That way you will feel how tight it is.)

It is your machine and you are more than able to experiment with suggestions like Bergerud's. I will note your account in case you have issues with it, we will know why.

Wow - Wasn't expecting a reply from LHR quite like that.
    Have never seen anyone getting a "Black Mark" on their account for an optional discussion.

Guess I'll crawl back into my cave

Sorry to have bothered anyone on a Friday afternoon.

Loctite breaks down with heat. Most Loctite products unless it is a high temp type will give up around 250 degrees. Heat has been used to install and remove different type parts for years. It makes a tighter fit than pressing, for the simple reason you are not pushing small particles of metal out with the press and the heat fit id. can be a touch smaller than a press fit id. When removing with heat take care to not get both items hot. Like I saw in an earlier post it was red hot. At that point the bit with have started to heat up as well an will not come apart. Heat evenly all the way around, use a spreader if you have one. When the heated portion gets to 250 to 300 degrees things should slide apart, but do it quickly or you will be heating it up again. As far as installing, mark where you what to stop inserting and heat things up. Once outer portion is hot enough quickly insert to the mark and let cool. Should be good to go. Cutting a collar it not that hot of an idea. Like Connie stated you will need a stop collar to prevent the bit from raising while under pressure. If a fit issue come up while craving that causes slip the bit could become a projectile, which in turn would cause depression to rear it's ugly head. I have not tried heating adapters as of yet, but I was discussing making up an adapter for a small drill bit for an led craving project I am working on with a machinist that handles my machining needs, as I can't fit all the toys in the shop yet. A heat fit was determined to give us the best fit and hold. Now I come home and see this posted.

Sorry, that was the end of a long week, but had this happen before. Spent several weeks trying to chase down the issue. It was using the wrong bit holder on a bit not purchased from us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast