Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CT Adapters Move Easily with Heat

To remove the QC bit holders I add a little heat with a micro torch and touch the screws with a small birthday candle. the wax is drawn into the threads and seems to loosen the locktite

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I just performed a simple experiment that I think should especially interest the Rock users. We have talked about pressing the CT adapters off and on. Some have pounded and some have used vises and presses. I pressed one off and on before with a vise and found it was pretty darn tight.

Well, I thought I would try some heat. I clamped a CT carving bit lightly in a vise and took a pencil flame propane torch to the adapter. After a few seconds, it just slid down the shank.

This is very good news for the Rock users because the pressing method only works in one direction: to push the shank butt end out through the adapter. (One cannot push hard on the flutes.) To move the adapter down the shank would require pressing the bit completely out and then back in (but not so far). Also, one needs spacers, punch pins, and either a press or a big vise.

With the heat method, you can move the adapter anyway you want with just a light touch. No large, scary forces.

Rock users can buy the deep carving bits with the knowledge that they can deal with the adapters.

The 1/4" Rock users can just remove the adapter with a propane torch.

The 1/2" Rock users can just use the torch to slide the adapter the required 1/4" - 1/2" down the bit shank. (The exact distance needs to be determined.)

Isn't it fun when it is simple!
    Bergerud,

I know you posted this a couple of months ago but, I hadn't given it much thought until now. After installing a new bit, was there any slippage or vibration. I have a rock chuck but, I'm currently using the CT. Thinking of switching back when the CT chuck wears out.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Bergerud,

I know you posted this a couple of months ago but, I hadn't given it much thought until now. After installing a new bit, was there any slippage or vibration. I have a rock chuck but, I'm currently using the CT. Thinking of switching back when the CT chuck wears out.
    I do not imagine any slippage. Using heat is much more gentle than brute force pressing these adapters on and off. (I can tell by the scrape marks on the bits that that is how it was done.) As long as the bits are really close to 0.2500" or the bits are the bits that came with the adapters, they will be tight.

Does the CT wear out? How is that?

Ii has bearings in the Y truck. I just assumed that eventually the bearings will wear out. Mine has over 900 cut motor hours on it and is beginning to sound as though it may be wearing out.
    Steve

Ii has bearings in the Y truck. I just assumed that eventually the bearings will wear out. Mine has over 900 cut motor hours on it and is beginning to sound as though it may be wearing out.
    You can just change the bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    You can just change the bearings.
    Can I buy them from LHR?
    Steve

Can I buy them from LHR?
    No, but they are standard size bearings. A 6000DDU on top and a 6002VV on the bottom. The 6002VV is a little special. The VV stands for non contact seals (for high rpm). These can be bought at any bearing supply outlet.

Have to agree with you Dan it works well
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Could a single through-cut be made down the side of the adapter with say a Dremel and cut-off wheel or something similar? The adapters I purchased from LHR is nothing more than that, and when inserted into the CT, tightening the chuck tightens the adapter around the bit. I haven't tried this yet, but have just came into ownership of a freshly broken 1/8th inch cutting bit for a CT. Will try over the upcoming weekend unless someone beats me to it.

Tracy

I do not think that a cut down the side would work very well. The adapter is thick and will not flex. Maybe if you made more cuts. Still I would not trust it to hold a smooth carbide shank. The heat thing really works well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast