Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backing up patterns?

Quote Originally Posted by Icarver View Post
    I would really suggest that you take the hard drive from the crashed computer and your backup hard drive to a computer shop. chances are really good they could retrieve your data without a lot of expense. I I do this often for friends however I probably live too far from you to make it worthwhile but a computer shop should not charge more than $40-$80 to do this. Don't get me wrong though there always is a chance that somehow you lost all the data or never backed it up when you thought you did. but the chance is really pretty slim. In the future I would really suggest using a backup service such as Carbonite which costs about $60 a year and it's well worth it.

Another solution is to use dropbox thousands of MPC's and patterns will fit in the free dropbox space that's allowed. All you have to do is always back up or copy your patterns and Mpc's to the dropbox folder or just save them there to begin with. That is what I do. I save all my designs in my dropbox folder and then if anything ever happens I can access them again from any computer. When I want to open something in designer I just go to my dropbox folder and double-click on it from there.
    Just got of the phone with the computer Geek Squad. The hard drive on my old computer died. I would cost over $200 to send off the old hard drive and try to recover the files on it and i was given a 50/50 shot that they could do it.
    That still doesnt explain why the files i saved on the external hard drive will not show up on the new computer?
    Oh well. I have found most of the patterns and a few more off the site and other places. I have saved every pattern and job i have created now on the external in a different way. We will see if this works. They show up when i hook it up to my wifes computer so they should be there on any computer that i use from now on.

It has sucked importing every single pattern in the program again... UGH. Took almost 2 complete nights to get it done...
    Thanks for the help guys..

I would recommend you get a program (free for personal use) called Allways Sync. http://allwaysync.com/?gclid=CLLyzIfHxbsCFcxAMgod3SgA5A You can install this on your computer and set it up so that no matter what folders you save your projects and patters to, it will sync them back and forth so you have a copy on your local machine and your external backup it really works great! Allows you to create a Mirror of the folders you want a backed up.

You could take the hard drive out of the external case and replace it with your old drive that crashed. You might just get lucky.

Another trick we used when I was an IT tech was to put the old hard drive in the freezer for about 30 minutes then quickly plug it in to your external case. It might get you about 10 minutes of access time. Sounds crazy but, sometimes it works.
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12