Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backing up patterns?

Default Backing up patterns?

My old computer completely crashed and i thought i had all my work and patterns backed up on a external hard drive. On my old computer i could plug in the hard drive and see all the files i had saved there.

I got my new computer and installed the Designer program and went to import all my saved files they were gone. They do not show up on my new computer from my external hard drive. My old computer had windows 7 professional and my new computer has windows 8? I would think that a document file would pull up on either system shouldn't it?

My question is how or in what format can i save all my patterns so i don't loose them again if this happens in the future?
    I have spent the last 2 days trying to find and upload most of the patterns that i had. There is no way to do this with all the projects that i created and made as you well know!

Any help would be grateful.
    Chad

I have has the same problem. Even with flash drives and the fancy HP 1 TB back up drive. I find that they access the current files and save that. I often refer back to the old DVD's for saving. That seems to work better than this new high tech. When you open my computer you will see the drive to save. I have tried that also and it goes back to the current file. Not what I had intended to save.
    Woodpecker.

Back up your favorites.mpn file, back up all ptn files, backup all ptn's as mpw files if possible (NOT possible to backup mpw versions of the patterns if you did not make the ptn's yourself). MPW files do not have any copy-protection and could useful for future editing of your own patterns later on.

NOTE: Anytime you download or purchase a PTN, save that PTN file into a separate directory and with category folders (i.e., Animals, Plants, Floral, Embelishments, etc.) for the purpose of neat organization and for manually importing into your library at a future date, if it ever becomes necessary.

The old saying regarding backups...if it doesn't exist in at least three locations, it doesn't exist at all.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 12-13-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by cfox View Post
    My old computer completely crashed and i thought i had all my work and patterns backed up on a external hard drive.
    How did you make your backup - did you use some automated backup program, or did you back them up manually, by copying?

I got my new computer and installed the Designer program and went to import all my saved files they were gone.
    Where did you store your patterns and projects on your old computer? In what directory and sub directories?

DickB

I saved it as a as CarveWright Projects and Patterns and then manually saved that file on a external Hard drive as well.
    As I mentioned before this computer doesnt even show them on my external hard drive anywhere?
    I made a file in Documents that i saved everything to? Thats what doesnt make much sense to me?

If someone can burn 2000 patterns to a CD then i should be able to save them on a external hard drive as well and do the same thing?

Sorry its taken so long to get back to you. I am not getting alerted when anyone postes to this thread?
    Thanks
    Chad

That's very puzzling. If you manually saved files to your external hard drive, they should be visible when connected to the new computer. Are there other missing files on the external drive, or only Carvewright files?

(Click on your Profile in the forum to set up email notifications.)

We will get there. I currently save them to my files under CW also. If this computer would just do what I tell it to do.
    Woodpecker

My old computer completely crashed and i thought i had all my work and patterns backed up on a external hard drive. On my old computer i could plug in the hard drive and see all the files i had saved there.

I got my new computer and installed the Designer program and went to import all my saved files they were gone. They do not show up on my new computer from my external hard drive. My old computer had windows 7 professional and my new computer has windows 8? I would think that a document file would pull up on either system shouldn't it?

My question is how or in what format can i save all my patterns so i don't loose them again if this happens in the future?
    I have spent the last 2 days trying to find and upload most of the patterns that i had. There is no way to do this with all the projects that i created and made as you well know!

Any help would be grateful.
    Chad
    Question? Did you have your external hard drive plugged in when you were trying to fix your old computer?

I find when I do that it erases my Documents file most of the time.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    Question? Did you have your external hard drive plugged in when you were trying to fix your old computer?

I find when I do that it erases my Documents file most of the time.
    No i did not have the hard drive plugged in when i was working on the other computer. Im not sure what happened to the information?
    I have saved them and made a folder for CarveWright and saved the ones i have now to it?
    It just makes no sense to me that this computer does not see any files where i had them saved...
    Its just really frustrating..

10. Default

I would really suggest that you take the hard drive from the crashed computer and your backup hard drive to a computer shop. chances are really good they could retrieve your data without a lot of expense. I I do this often for friends however I probably live too far from you to make it worthwhile but a computer shop should not charge more than $40-$80 to do this. Don't get me wrong though there always is a chance that somehow you lost all the data or never backed it up when you thought you did. but the chance is really pretty slim. In the future I would really suggest using a backup service such as Carbonite which costs about $60 a year and it's well worth it.

Another solution is to use dropbox thousands of MPC's and patterns will fit in the free dropbox space that's allowed. All you have to do is always back up or copy your patterns and Mpc's to the dropbox folder or just save them there to begin with. That is what I do. I save all my designs in my dropbox folder and then if anything ever happens I can access them again from any computer. When I want to open something in designer I just go to my dropbox folder and double-click on it from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast