Thread: CT and long bit length

Default CT and long bit length

Could someone with the long bits and the CT spindle measure the length of the bit from a common point on the Z truck and let us Rock users know what the measurement is? When the Mac software issue is resolved I would like to upgrade to Designer 2.0 and get some long bits. I have a 1/4" Rock and would have to press out the bits from the CT adapter but I will need to know how deep the bit will need to sit in the Rock so that all works well with the firmware.

Thanks!
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

I measure 3/16" to the bit plate. The tip of the bit is 3.69" below the bottom of the spindle bearing.

The bit is 9 cm long and has a clear shank of about 3 cm. I would say that a least the full 3 cm shank has to go into the Rock.

The people with the 1/2" Rock are the ones with the problem. They have to press off the adapter and then press it back on again. I would like to know how close the bottom of the Rock comes to the board.
    Last edited by bergerud; 12-12-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEJ View Post
    Could someone with the long bits and the CT spindle measure the length of the bit from a common point on the Z truck and let us Rock users know what the measurement is? When the Mac software issue is resolved I would like to upgrade to Designer 2.0 and get some long bits. I have a 1/4" Rock and would have to press out the bits from the CT adapter but I will need to know how deep the bit will need to sit in the Rock so that all works well with the firmware.

Thanks!

I have the same question in regards to the standard size 1/16" carving bit and the 1/8" cutting bit. What is the distance from the tip of the bit to the bit plate?
    The same question as to the v90 and the v60 bits. Thanks Greg

I measure 2-11/16" from the top of the shoulder of the long 1/8" bit to the tip. So the bottom of the CT is 2-7/8" to 2-15/16" above the bit plate. Measure your bits and you have the answer.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I think the easiest measurement would be to hold the Z up into the upper stop pin and turn on Z Data. That way it would be 0000 at the top pin. Install the bit.

Take 2 slices of wood the same thickness. Place one on the sand paper belt cranked down. Touch the bit to the top of the board.

Then place the second board on top of the first board without cranking up the head and touch this second board sitting on top of the first. THIS gets the Thickness of the board used...

Note what type of belts, Sand Paper or Rubber.

OR touch the bit plate.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks guys! I have been in the woods for some needed R&R. Nope, I didn't get one but did relax (and freeze) alot!
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac