Thread: Trouble opening STL's

Default Trouble opening STL's

Once again I am having some trouble with STL files. I recently made some purchases and have been able to open all but 3 of the STL's. I figured out my problem when it came to adjusting the size etc but these three wont even open. keeps giving me the gui.exe error and closing befor it opens them. Any ideas.

That is the error I get when the stl files are too large. Around 100Mb seems to be my limit. Even if they import, the program crashes if I try to alter anything.

Not sure of what may be causing the crash, but what type of computer/hardware are you using? May be a lack of RAM or hard drive space for the swap files.

The files are 302 MB and 227 MB. I'm not exactly sure what all the parameters of my computer are but I'm fairly sure that it's not adequate enough. It runs the programs but big designs I always seem to have problems. I can open it with Free Cad but I don't know how to re-size it.

I think the only way to resize an STL is to make the mesh courser. Fewer vertices.

I am still trying to open some files. I can open it with freecad and with meshlab however I haven't been able to figure out how to resize them any advice on using either of those programs would be great. Have to type real slow for me because I'm not very smart in these areas.

7. Default

I have two suggestions to try.
    1st save, then delete your designer favorites file or rename it. Then try to import the stl. This usually works but if the file is still two big
    2. You said you can import it into mesh lab. Then click on filters, click on normals-curvatures and orientation- click on transform scale. Set the scale to what ever you need to get it to open.

Thank you. I've tried number one with no luck at all. I'm going to try suggestion 2. Somebody mentioned mesh lab and I downloaded it but couldn't figure out how to make changes. Thank you again. I will let you know if I have any success.

Update on those files I couldn't open. I still can't open them but I have opened some even larger and not been able to open a couple even smaller. A friend helped me open them in artcam and we were able to make STL's I could open. Thanks for the advice and help.