Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Importing .stl files

Default Importing .stl files

I'm trying to import an .stl file of a mermaid but the one provided here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:182231/ needs to be rotated 45 degrees to get the look my SO wants. I can rotate it in Blender and save it out to a new .stl and import it but when I do, there isn't a lot of relief. I assume it's due to the depth of the .stl and it needs to be "compressed" to generate a better image. I don't know how to accomplish this and looking for tips/tricks to bring it in. Any help out there?

Thanks,
    Tracy

Can you not rotate it after you make it into a pattern in Designer?

Why don't you just rotate it in the STL importer??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mermaid_t stl.PNG  
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Oh, I get it. You want to rotate the 3d object around a vertical axis before you make the pattern. The problem is that it is too deep. This is a bas relief problem. By the time the tail and arms are compressed, the body is flat. Can you do bas relief in Blender?

Sorry folks had to step away a bit. Bergerud is dead on with his last post. I've heard of bas relief but have not done it or really understand it. Can you give some general directions to try?

Here is information on the bass relief in blender.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ht=bass+relief
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie. Will take a look and let you know how it's going.

Love the forum because of folks like you all!!!

Not sure what rotation you wanted but here is one I just did. It is gray scale so just import it using file import.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mermaid.png  
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

That's pretty close to what the LOML is looking for Eddie, but need a little more of the front showing. I tried to follow the conversation in the link but as it's an old string, not sure if I still need to purchase/download the bas-relief node. I'm running ver 2.70, is it included now and if so, where (or what is it called). I would like to start learning the package, and $38 isn't much if it gets me what I want. I like all the free models on the web and want to start making my own.

Tracy

Tracy, I will see what I can do later. Heading out for 2 jobs scheduled this afternoon.
    As for blender, I am not sure about version 2.7. I have not kept up with it, since what I have is working. The node and software is free, the video is for teaching you how to do the bas relief.

Eddie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast