Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Sled

Default Help with Sled

I'm having an issue with my sled (I think).

I have a plaque that I've already carved (12x11 1/4x 3/4). Plaque is completely carved (keyhole in back and carving in front). The customer has asked if I can carve some text on the back side.

I've decided to use a sled that I have (23 3/4 x 14) & I have a 1/2 plywood base. I've taped the plaque (backside up) on the sled. I entered the true dimension of everything in Designer (23 3/4x14x3/4), say no to rollers. I'm only using a V60 bit for the text. EVERY time it proceeds with the measurements all is fine. It's when I load the VBit that the bit does not go to the proper area to begin the text carving. I've placed a pic showing where the text carving wants to start (& I stop it right away).

Is there a work around for this or what is it that I'm doing wrong. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, JerryB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-12-11 11.18.46.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	66329 L1.mpc
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Jerry are you loading the keyhole on the keyboard side?
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

In the options menu (button 8?) select jog to position and you can tell it to where to touch.
    You can use the arrow buttons to eye-ball a spot.

After posting and re-reading the original, this probably does not apply.
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 12-11-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

4. Default

when using a sled I always make a pencil mark in the center of the board I want carved and then choose jog to center. Then I show the machine where the center of the board is when prompted. This takes care of these issues. I especially use it because I carve a lot of tree rounds so the boards are not square, it helps to center the whole carving.

Jerry,

Can you take a screen shot in Designer of the backside of your MPC so we see where the text is located? Thanks
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Hey Ken, I think that's what I want to learn to do since I've never done that before. So if I choose option 8 and jog to position and tell it where to touch. Would that be where the first letter of the text is going to start? Never used that feature before.

Here is the mpc and a couple of jpgs of the front and back. "can't load the mpc. It's 1.92 m and the LHR restriction is for 1.43. So I can't load it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LBack.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	66331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LFront.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	66332

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    In the options menu (button 8?) select jog to position and you can tell it to where to touch.
    You can use the arrow buttons to eye-ball a spot.
    Last edited by chebytrk; 12-11-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Jerry, after seeing that I mis-read your original post, I still have a suggestion.
    If you make the Designer board the size of the text plus any width/height to
    adjust for Y positioning and center that, it will be forced to move it down.

Something I noticed on your sled, assuming you measure width across the center
    rather than the end-fillers since there is dark paint on them. You do not need more
    tape in the X direction other than about 1-1/2" on each end for the X sensor.

Jerry, we were typing at the same time!
    No, that is just the jog-to-touch that a lot of people do not use.
    To jog to the carve position, you have two options jog to the corner of the Designer-board
    and jog to the center of the Designer board.

I wrote a Tips-N-Tricks about this a couple of years ago, but it did not get published.
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 12-11-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

It will depend on where you tell it you are jogging to. You can choose edge of project or center. I generally use the center, easier to figure out. I put a cross at the center of both directions, but you can adjust to whereever you want. It will want you to put the carving bit in to do the jog to operation. I do this on almost every project because I carve my logo on the back. Generally works fine.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Just sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    Jerry, after seeing that I mis-read your original post, I still have a suggestion.
    If you make the Designer board the size of the text plus any width/height to
    adjust for Y positioning and center that, it will be forced to move it down.

Something I noticed on your sled, assuming you measure width across the center
    rather than the end-fillers since there is dark paint on them. You do not need more
    tape in the X direction other than about 1-1/2" on each end for the X sensor.

Jerry, we were typing at the same time!
    No, that is just the jog-to-touch that a lot of people do not use.
    To jog to the carve position, you have two options jog to the corner of the Designer-board
    and jog to the center of the Designer board.

I wrote a Tips-N-Tricks about this a couple of years ago, but it did not get published.

Set your design up as a single side carve since your plaque is already done.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast