Thread: Just trying to get started, head pressure is the latest issue........

Default Just trying to get started, head pressure is the latest issue........

I’m getting a little frustrated with my Carvewright, it’s an older B machine, that I have had for several years and used very little. I went to the CNC Jamboree in Ohio this year and came back all fired up, bought a bunch of upgrades including the carvetight, and the z motor which it turns out I didn’t need, but I broke a part taking it out and put in the new one anyway.
    While doing all of that I lubed the flexshaft, cleaned and lubed the rails and lead screws, all the stuff I could think of while I was getting it ready to go.
    When I first use it several years ago the head pressure was low, so I checked that and found it to be 45 – 50, so I went through the steps to increase from the website and no change, the tie rod doesn’t have much play in it, but I could be seeing just flex in the rod….
    Is there any hope that I will get this thing up and running? I really want to make some carvings.

Try lossening the 4 corner post. Clean and lube the post with 3 in 1 oil. Then run the head up and down and check your head pressure.

If good tightened the post while the head is down.

I had a similar problem, and this took care of it.

You may need to clean and lube the clutch as well.

Wanted to clean the clutch, can't find anything about that on the website, can you provide where to look for that info?

Did the corner posts once, was going to try again, but did not check the pressure with the them loose, I'll give that a shot.

Thanks much.

To lube the clutch remove the crank handle and spring (take notice of the thin washers on the crank shaft). You will see a large flat washer inside that mates up to the clutch. With a small tip flat screw driver you can pull the washer away from the clutch. Use some good bearing grease on the tip of the screw driver and work it behind the washer. After putting the handle back on put a board in the machine and crank the head down on the board several times.

If the head pressure is still low you can add more this washers to the crank shaft (see comments above). Most times there are one or two washers on the top of the corner posts that you can use. Just make sure you take the same number off of the posts. Also take them from the posts on the right side of the machine as you are looking at the key pad, not off of both posts on the ends.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I believe your clutch is just fine and at this time I would not mess with it...

What I believe is happening is that the 4 smooth corner post bearings are binding resulting in the clutch adding the 4 post resistance to the pressure on the board and releasing at the proper click. BUT, the pressure is lost due to the 4 corner sleeve bearings....

Like posted above... You need to flush out the old dry lubricant and the sawdust that has packed into the sleeve....

Any light oil will work as a flush... then lube with your choice.... I use Chainlube but many use other things... and you are going to need to be careful with the lube and sawdust.... don't create a fire hazard.... I know.... "what's with AL and his worrie about fire all the time.... ?" It's the Navy thing.... Ships... fire.... Backstroke.... You either fight it of swim....

The head could also be off level too and this will bind the 4 sleeve bearings.... A Quick check.... 2 board scraps one on each side with a strip of paper on it...crank down and pull paper... if one comes out... It's high.... But I like to use a Bit and Z Data to measure it to the same 2 boards....

And Shop Temp.... NE Winter?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Success, I have consistent 82lbs of pressure now, thanks for all your help, now I have to do a bunch of software tutorials....

Are the rollers suppose to touch the belt when your head is down completely??

Quote Originally Posted by zan29 View Post
    Are the rollers suppose to touch the belt when your head is down completely??
    Mine are about 1/4" above the rubber belts when all the way down.

Good.......I'm in the norm.......!!!