Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Carves - Pegasus and Tiger

Default Latest Carves - Pegasus and Tiger

These are for SWMBO Christmas presents. She loves animals of all kinds but tigers are one of her favorites. As far as the Pegasus, well, lets just say that if we had the money there would be one of those huge gas company signs (Pegasus) hanging on our wall or on a pole in the yard. I made the patterns from simple line art drawings using The Gimp program. This is the freshly carved and sanded version. Haven't decided on the finishes yet. Suggestions would be more than welcome, so don't be afraid of hurting my feelings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tiger Carve.PNG 
Views:	77 
Size:	629.4 KB 
ID:	66108 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pegasus Carve.PNG 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	66109
    George

Cool George. Nicely done. She will love them.

3. Default

Impressive George! Very, very nice indeed. You seem to be in control of Gimp in a fairly short time!

Great work George. Did you do the puffing with Gimp? If so can you explain how?
    Thanks
    Jeff

for the tiger I thought I would make a suggestion on the painting I done the sugar box using minwax and painted the low spots and sanded it by hand till I got the high places back to the wood I was thinking that if you done the low spots for the strips in the fur and dab it and sanded it to bring in the strips and then used a stain to your liking that would be awesome it was a thought... I would hate for you to miss up a beautiful carve .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0022.JPG  

Very nice indeed!

Very nice George, I especially like the tiger.

Both are very nice carving George. I like the tiger and hope you post pictures when finished.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Carver View Post
    Great work George. Did you do the puffing with Gimp? If so can you explain how?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff, Thanks for the kind words. Yes. I did use Gimp to height map them. It is a little too involved to try to explain, but there are a series of youtube tutorials that explain it very well... HERE
    George

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    for the tiger I thought I would make a suggestion on the painting I done the sugar box using minwax and painted the low spots and sanded it by hand till I got the high places back to the wood I was thinking that if you done the low spots for the strips in the fur and dab it and sanded it to bring in the strips and then used a stain to your liking that would be awesome it was a thought... I would hate for you to miss up a beautiful carve .
    Thanks for the suggestion. That might work.

Thanks everybody for your reply's and encouragement.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast