Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Carving, For Me.

I agree. I'd be interested to hear more about his DC Setup... Make/model of DC (cfm rating, etc)... and which DC Hood he is using.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    I agree. I'd be interested to hear more about his DC Setup... Make/model of DC (cfm rating, etc)... and which DC Hood he is using.
    I had purchased the Dust Devil Collector Hood, and the DC I used was my Shopsmith DC3300. I didn't have my manuals at hand, for either of my two DC's, so I can't give the CFM rating. I just know that the Shopsmith DC is 8.0 amps. I've had this thing since about 1987, and it does seem as though it has lost some suctioning power. I also have a 1-1/2hp Jet DC1100RC, which has an amperage of 11/5.5. This latter unit is the one that I will be using with my CW, from now on. The only reason that the Jet DC wasn't used, yesterday, is because my CW wasn't in the shop at that time, and my Shopsmith had a bit smaller footprint, than my Jet, to move it to my (then) carving location.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Specs on your shopsmith http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...collection.htm

and your Jet http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jetdc1100rvu.html

Your shopsmith has less cfm (300) pull so that was probably the problems with dust removal. Also I would recommend a good cleaning of the filter bag to insure optimal performance.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Specs on your shopsmith http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...collection.htm

and your Jet http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/jetdc1100rvu.html

Your shopsmith has less cfm (300) pull so that was probably the problems with dust removal. Also I would recommend a good cleaning of the filter bag to insure optimal performance.
    Thanks, FWHarris.

From now on I will be using my Jet DC with my CW.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

And remember the Cloth Bags... You get what you pay for... Cloth Bags are notorius for spitting out the finest and deadliest dust... IF you are running the DC in an enclosed space and breathing the results... You are depositing the finest dust in the deepest airways of your lungs... A upgrade to a Canister Filter will honestly let you LIVE LONGER....

Just MY opinion....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Great First Carve!
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    And remember the Cloth Bags... You get what you pay for... Cloth Bags are notorius for spitting out the finest and deadliest dust... IF you are running the DC in an enclosed space and breathing the results... You are depositing the finest dust in the deepest airways of your lungs... A upgrade to a Canister Filter will honestly let you LIVE LONGER....

Just MY opinion....

AL
    Great point Al!

This is what I use 35A Series http://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by jaroot View Post
    Great First Carve!
    Thank you.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Just MY opinion....

AL
    Honestly didn't know that, Al. But you point is very well taken. So much so that I am considering doing away with that DC altogether. First of all, the CFM's don't seem to be up to snuff - and, secondly, there's the much more important issue of fine dust particles.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Just MY opinion....

AL
    Is that true even with a 3 micron filter? This is one that I use...http://www.grizzly.com/products/Dust...0-Micron/H4340 and I'm definitely in a enclosed space (basement). I originally purchased the 3 micron filter because after running the stock 30 micron filter I could visibly see and smell the dust floating around when using the 30 micron. I really don't notice any "dust" with the 3 micron... or am i just fooling myself?
    Doug Fletcher

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast