Thread: First Carving, For Me.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First Carving, For Me.

Yes, today was my very first attempt at carving, on my CW, and I have to say that it was truly a pleasure finally seeing it in action. I didn't have any wood pieces that would have been sizable enough to run through the machine, without a sled, so I grabbed a 24"x14-1/4" piece of MDF, that I had laying around from another project. The actual carved region was only about 7"x 3-1/2", and I know that I could have cut the MDF smaller - by which to save on some of that stock. But, my little shop is in a transitional stage, as I am working towards setting up a dedicated spot for the CW. As such, there are all kinds of stuff on top of my table saw, and I really didn't feel like fooling with it just for the sake of saving a bit of MDF. Besides, my excitement to get to the carving stage was running extremely high . So, I finally get to it.

I have a grand daughter to be born, in January, and I thought that I would do just a simple little sign for her. I was a bit surprised that it took nearly 80 minutes to carve that little section out - which really didn't have a whole lot going on within it. But, then again, I am very new to this - and didn't really know WHAT to expect (carving time, wise). The end result wasn't too bad, at all. In fact, I (and my family members) were very impressed. It could have been better, but the elements which would have made it so had much (if not everything) to do with my having made better choices. First, I used MDF for carving. Secondly, there was a bit of 'chip-out' - most likely due to my having selected the wrong font/character amounts for the small 'carved region' real estate. Then, too, methinks that my depth setting may have been a little too deep. All in all, though, I am very reasonably certain that any - and all - shortcomings can be applied to 'user error, and NOT to this fantastic piece of machinery. I can already see the possibilities, and capabilities of what can be achieved - with the CW, and I am going to have a ball, indeed, in getting there.

Happy carvings, to EVERYONE.

Blessings,
    Nathan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Carving..jpg  
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan