Thread: 2″ Deep Carvings?!

Default 2″ Deep Carvings?!

The latest bit offerings from CarveWright allow for carving 2.125″ deep!

They are the 1/16″ Long Carving Bit and the 1/8″ Long Carving Bit shown to the right. I’ve been working with these bits for the last few weeks on a variety of projects to see what I could do with them. Once I got started designing with these in mind the possibilities really started to open up. In the blog we look at some of the projects we’ve made with these bits.

READ MORE HERE

1/16″ Long Carve Bit – $79.99
    1/8″ Long Carve Bit – $79.99

Joe,

Other than using the best/optimal settings are there any other tips for using these?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Now I have a great reason to get designer 2.0

This is going to be some fun.

Hey Joe, are these 2 flute cutters? I would think the 1/8" would be stronger than the 1/16", would be ok if what your carving doesn't have a bunch of fine details at the point end. Any idea what degree the taper is on these new cutters? I think the original cutters were 7-12° with a ball end.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

I just got my deep carving bits and can report the dimensions. They are three flute. The angles appear to me to be 3 degrees for the 1/8" and 5 degrees or the 1/16". (That is 1.5 and 2.5 per side.) The length is not going to make the Rock users very happy. It is around 2.65" from the tip to where the adapter would hit the chuck. I do not have a machine set up with a CT and a regular bit plate but I think the bit would squeak in about 1/8" above the bit plate with the truck at the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deep Bits.jpg  

Durability is the question I have for the cutting bit. Hopefully LHR will get a a 3/16 long bit to add down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by chief2007 View Post
    Durability is the question I have for the cutting bit. Hopefully LHR will get a a 3/16 long bit to add down the road.
    These are both carving bits. There are no deep cutting bits. At least not yet. If there were, I agree, they would have to be 3/16" or larger.