Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New long bits question

Thanks Berg I will check the updates and firmware...

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

How is it a problem? You can define the position, size, and height placement of those tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I suppose you could in some cases but, if you have a carve region on both sides of the board manual tabs can be a problem. Just doesn't seem well thought out to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Metallus View Post
    How is it a problem? You can define the position, size, and height placement of those tabs.
    I am referring to any project where a carve region extends to the edge of the cutout on both sides of the board. One example is the Vegie Tray I designed. Since the machine will not under-cut the manual tabs they will always be from the bottom. If the carve region on the bottom is deeper than 1/4" the tabs will not be there because there is no wood left. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture but, I've tried just about all combinations of height and depth with the same results. I have not tried the old fashion way by placing small carve regions across the cutout and setting the depth to zero. That may be a work around but. will require a little more sanding.
    Steve

Maybe I am missing something but I do not see the problems with tabs. You can put them at any depth you like. I know that when the automatic tabs of a cut out get interfered with from a pattern behind, you loose control of the tab height. If you place your own tabs - I see no problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Maybe I am missing something but I do not see the problems with tabs. You can put them at any depth you like. I know that when the automatic tabs of a cut out get interfered with from a pattern behind, you loose control of the tab height. If you place your own tabs - I see no problem.
    Okay, My bad. After further experimentation none of my previous statements are true. I don't know what I was doing before but, apparently I wasn't doing something right. My apologies to you and Metallus.
    Steve

Its all good to get stuff straightened out.

The other day I posted that it was stupid that the stl importer could only slice up to 3/4" slices since we have new long bits. It turns out that all you have to do is press that button beside the 0.75 button (above the slicing plane slider) and you can change the max default. Duh.

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

You gotta love all the easter eggs in the designer software. Anyone want to document them?

Still, it would be nice to have a "long" cutting bit. I realize there are a lot of factors to consider eg. stress on the bit, stress on the cut motor, etc. My suggestion would be to limit deep cutouts to a 3/16" diameter long bit and .25" max depth per cut. It wouldn't solve all of the problems and maybe even introduce a few more but, I think it would be better than having no options at all.
    Steve

Steve, your comment about limiting bit size and depth probably makes sense with hard woods and extra options are always nice. But most of my deep carves are with polyurethane mold makers board that cuts like a dream with very little side load. And I am 1 happy camper to finally have 2" depth of cut capability.
    Thank you LHR!!! Joe
    Plea of Insanity for Addiction to ol' H-D Sporters

You gotta love all the easter eggs in the designer software. Anyone want to document them?
    Some cool new stuff for sure...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345