Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New long bits question

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

We don't have rock chucks to test with, so I can't guarantee their current or future compatibility.

Would it be possible for one of the 'beta' testers who have a rock chuck to do testing if they are not available at Carvewright? I realise they are not the product or responsibility of the Carvewright organization but for many users they were an answer to issues early in the development process. Now there a many machines equipped with them and the users would like to know if there is a benefit to purchasing the new software. If I have to add the price of converting my machine to the carvetight in addition to the software purchase?? Not sure if I want to spend that much, maybe economical for those using the carver for a business but I bet there are more of the hobbyists out there that are facing the same problem. Would love to buy the new longer bits, makes the new software more attractive.

Rick H

I think that the Rock is going to have problems. The bit will be 1/2" or so longer than in the CT. Since I think the bits are as long as they can be, I bet they will not even get above the bit plate. You would have to take off the CT adapter (or push it another 1/2" onto he bit).

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    1/2 would cost more all around so I like that its a .25" shank end with the adapter.
    True, but they would not break either. These bits look a little delicate.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    True, but they would not break either. These bits look a little delicate.
    That was my first thought also and the reason I was asking about things to do/watch out for. Reading through Joe's blog and the materials he used they seem to be ok with holding up..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I also worry that they will have to be really sharp to work. There will be a lot of cutting edges cutting at once.

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

I've cut my fingers on them every time I've handled one. It's better than just rubbing on the wood & starting fires, eh?

I would for sure be using the feather setting for doing any carving just to make sure the bit is eased into the carving area.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

feathers 1/8" or less when diving deep are totally useless anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    I use a 1/2" straight bit some times and I have to stop the spin during the bit check to insure it stops before going down for the touch..

Skeeterman are you using the CarveWright chuck or a Rock?
    I have the Rock chuck on all machines , the long 3/16 works on all but the B series, the A and C series machines the long bit works but B no workie
    Start U Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast