Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 2.0 worth the price?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    It was true that 2.001 was not so stable. I think 2.002, on the other hand, is more stable than 1.187 was. If not for the want of backward compatibility with other members, I would have left 1.187 in the dust.
    I have a problem with, after being a loyal customer for about 3 years now, having to pay exactly the same price for the upgrade as a person who just bought their CW.Even MS has an upgrade system that gives existing users a substantial discount for buying the new version as it comes out. I love the machine, but this decision has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I understand the time and expense of developing a new OS, but how about a break for long time users? It appears that every year or so another $200.00 will have to be spent to keep up with changes. A G code machine is looking better and better all the time. Just my 2 cents, make that $200.00, worth.
    The problem with communications is the illusion they have occurred.

I do not think it will be $200 for every major upgrade, just this first one. I remember seeing a post saying that people who bought the previous upgrade would get a break on the next upgrade.

I feel like its a debtors prison in a way if you don't have the 2.0 you can't see the patterns that are done in 2.0 I believe that the loyal customer ought to have a discount I have $9,000.00 invested in the carvewright and have to have the 2.0 just to be able as a little thing to see what is posted on the forum that is done in the 2.0 format so that if you don't have it the program it going to be where the senior members won't be able to help the next guy that has that format. My feeling is its getting to be like a boat... a hole in the water that you won't be able to fill up it is supposed to be used for hobbies not industrial use, with that in mind how can a hobbyist keep up.

SOLD: I agree aokweld. I have a ton invested as well. Having said that, anyone want a 250 hour CW version C? Heavy duty traction belts, new Z truck and bearings, new cut cable, new cut motor brushes, new speed sensor, scanning probe, lots of bits and bit box, Floyd Harris dust collector. Located in Henderson, NV. I have decided to go with a Shopbot machine. Make me an offer. I would prefer to sell it close to here and deliver it in person.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I feel like its a debtors prison in a way if you don't have the 2.0 you can't see the patterns that are done in 2.0 I believe that the loyal customer ought to have a discount I have $9,000.00 invested in the carvewright and have to have the 2.0 just to be able as a little thing to see what is posted on the forum that is done in the 2.0 format so that if you don't have it the program it going to be where the senior members won't be able to help the next guy that has that format. My feeling is its getting to be like a boat... a hole in the water that you won't be able to fill up it is supposed to be used for hobbies not industrial use, with that in mind how can a hobbyist keep up.
    My point exactly, all though I don't have $9000 invested ( I could never justify that amount on this machine) I just feel overwhelmed with all the add on's and now paying good money for 2.0 and knowing that eventually I will be forced to buy it whether I can afford it or not. And those that say I am not forced to buy it just look at the fact that all new add on's and features are going to require it. soon all new patterns even those for sale will be in the 2.0 or later format. I know that eventually I will be forced to buy it. I am just waiting for a paying job that needs it and I will use that reason to justify it. That is how I justified and payed for centerline, conforming vectors, and the pattern editor with probe. Finally to be honest I just do not see future anything software related coming from this company to be less than $200 since that is their favorite number to charge for things. I want this company to succeed as I have a lot invested in it but I just think their software marketing strategy is an "Apple" strategy when the machine is a hobby or "Dell" machine. They remind often that this is a hobby machine and a way for the hobbyist to get into CNC. They need to remember who their buyers are when marketing the software portions of the machine. I do not believe the add on modules should cost as much as the machine itself. Ok, I am getting off my soapbox before the thread is closed and I am sent to my room without dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarver View Post
    My point exactly, all though I don't have $9000 invested ( I could never justify that amount on this machine) I just feel overwhelmed with all the add on's and now paying good money for 2.0 and knowing that eventually I will be forced to buy it whether I can afford it or not. And those that say I am not forced to buy it just look at the fact that all new add on's and features are going to require it. soon all new patterns even those for sale will be in the 2.0 or later format. I know that eventually I will be forced to buy it. I am just waiting for a paying job that needs it and I will use that reason to justify it. That is how I justified and payed for centerline, conforming vectors, and the pattern editor with probe. Finally to be honest I just do not see future anything software related coming from this company to be less than $200 since that is their favorite number to charge for things. I want this company to succeed as I have a lot invested in it but I just think their software marketing strategy is an "Apple" strategy when the machine is a hobby or "Dell" machine. They remind often that this is a hobby machine and a way for the hobbyist to get into CNC. They need to remember who their buyers are when marketing the software portions of the machine. I do not believe the add on modules should cost as much as the machine itself. Ok, I am getting off my soapbox before the thread is closed and I am sent to my room without dinner.
    My points exactly ICarver. I love the machine, but the software investments have almost equaled hardware investment. Centerline, conforming vectors, etc. My decision to buy a local Shopbot for just about what I have invested in the CW was driven by the software costs of CW. To boot, the Shopbot comes with a ton of software, bits, and accessories. I got lucky I guess. Let us see if the gentleman who agreed to purchase my CW shows up with cash in hand!

My problem with 2.0 is the latest upgrade that was made to 2.004. It was great that they have added the additional carving depth but I wish that they would have informed us that it was going to cause many headaches if you used a Rock chuck and bits not purchased from CW. Now I get the impression that to be able to stay "sane" I am being forced to update my chuck to the Carvetight. I think that CW has forgotten that the Carvetight evolved from the Rock chuck. Bergerud, it would be great to get your feelings on this. Call me very, very frustrated.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by tierman View Post
    My problem with 2.0 is the latest upgrade that was made to 2.004. It was great that they have added the additional carving depth but I wish that they would have informed us that it was going to cause many headaches if you used a Rock chuck and bits not purchased from CW. Now I get the impression that to be able to stay "sane" I am being forced to update my chuck to the Carvetight. I think that CW has forgotten that the Carvetight evolved from the Rock chuck. Bergerud, it would be great to get your feelings on this. Call me very, very frustrated.
    Roger
    Roger, from what I have seen, a great many of us are frustrated. Some, such as me, have decided to abandon ship and go elsewhere. A real shame, the basic machine is great. I fear that corporate politics and greed have clouded what started out as a hobbyist's dream. We shall see, I guess. I fear, however, that the die is cast and forebodes a downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by rockflier View Post
    Roger, from what I have seen, a great many of us are frustrated.
    And by "a great many", you mean the 3 maybe 4 vocal forum members on this thread.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    And by "a great many", you mean the 3 maybe 4 vocal forum members on this thread.
    Lynn, if that is the way you perceive it, so be it. Yes, some are more vocal. Only time will tell I guess. I respect your position as CW Staff. I would appreciate the same courtesy. Merry Christmas. (Can we say that here?)

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast