Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 2.0 worth the price?

Sounds like there are still some bugs to work out here. Think I will hold off a bit, although I don't have any "long" bits. Are the problems limited to the long bits?
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

No. The problem is with the length of the rock chuck and how 2.004 tries to more time efficient.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    No. The problem is with the length of the rock chuck and how 2.004 tries to more time efficient.
    Okay, so finally someone from LHR says it's a "problem" with the Rock. So again I ponder why it was not disclosed the CT was a requirement to 2.0 or mentioned in the FAQs?
    I already own 2.0 and would like to have the issue resolved. I appreciate the work around others have mentioned but it would have been nice to know before purchasing.
    I would still be interested in seeing how many people are using the Rock in a poll. Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gsdsj View Post
    Okay, so finally someone from LHR says it's a "problem" with the Rock. So again I ponder why it was not disclosed the CT was a requirement to 2.0 or mentioned in the FAQs?
    I already own 2.0 and would like to have the issue resolved. I appreciate the work around others have mentioned but it would have been nice to know before purchasing.
    I would still be interested in seeing how many people are using the Rock in a poll. Greg
    My best guess on why there were not any statements about any issues with the Rock chuck was that they only tested it with the CarveTight chuck as that is their current design.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I'm with you on that Floyd. As I mentioned and others have noted we'll just have to work around this for now and see what may be changed to help accommodate the various chuck and bit combinations our colleagues use. Please keep adding notes and measurements here for everyones' benefit as we work through solutions. Thanks All.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Correct. We did not test on third party and did not know. It is designed for CT. I don't think we even have one. I believe they are easing up on it in 2.005.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Connie, thanks for your honesty and hopefully some relief in 2.005. I would be more than willing to run any tests with the Rock and working
    on a Mac if you need assistance. Greg

Had not expected these new Pain In The A** problems with the 2.004 software improvement.
    Hi Bruce, LHR never gave the testers a final release version to try or any bits so sorry for the hassle we would of reported it for you and for us . I would roll back to the old firmware like I doing right now and all will work fine. You do not need to uninstall designer, just rename the new firmware file and load the old one but don't use the long bits until LHR can fix it for the guys that ordered them...
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 12-22-2013 at 02:02 AM.

If LHR makes changes to the software to accommodate the rock chuck, ALL rock users with designer 2.X need to tell them thank you.
    Software written by LHR is for their machine design. They can not possibly test all variations of third party add on.
    Remember the CT upgrade is still a choice.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

The Rock is not the problem. The problem is using CT bits with the Rock. The Rock is no different in length than the QC it was designed to replace. If you use the CT bits in the QC, you will have the same problems.

The thing is that the bit find of the past was so open that the Rock users could get away with using CT bits. The extra 1/2" bit length was ok. Now with the tightening up of the procedure, the Rock uses cannot get away with it anymore. It was sort of a mistake. (LHR likes selling CT bits to Rock users, don't you think?) The procedure was tested for the CT and the QC but the CT bit in the Rock thing was not considered. (With all of the things to consider with the deep bit change over, I am sure, the Rock with CT bits was not even on the list!)

I have been fighting this change for other reasons. I like to experiment and I do not like more restrictions. I do not like it that LG's trick of running through all the bit tests with just the carving bit will not work anymore. I do not like it that if a user has a senior moment and puts in the wrong bit in a mult bit project, he may get a stall and project abort. I do not like it if bits get damaged (chipped) by the ram into the bit plate. (I do not like it that it nearly breaks my dust cap right off the carriage!) I regard these as bigger problems than users having to initially adjust their CT bit length for the Rock.

All of these potential problems just to speed up the procedure just does not add up for me. I would rather just keep the old procedure.

I am happy that the tightening will be relaxed some. Hopefully that will effectively be a return to the old procedure.
    Last edited by bergerud; 12-22-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast