Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 2.0 worth the price?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Is 2.0 worth the price?

Nice changes, but are they really worth another $200??

I haven't gotten 2.0 yet but I wondered the same thing. Problem is, where else you gonna get it?
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

I feel like its a debtors prison in a way if you don't have the 2.0 you can't see the patterns that are done in 2.0 I believe that the loyal customer ought to have a discount I have $9,000.00 invested in the carvewright and have to have the 2.0 just to be able as a little thing to see what is posted on the forum that is done in the 2.0 format so that if you don't have it the program it going to be where the senior members won't be able to help the next guy that has that format. My feeling is its getting to be like a boat... a hole in the water that you won't be able to fill up it is supposed to be used for hobbies not industrial use, with that in mind how can a hobbyist keep up.

SOLD: I agree aokweld. I have a ton invested as well. Having said that, anyone want a 250 hour CW version C? Heavy duty traction belts, new Z truck and bearings, new cut cable, new cut motor brushes, new speed sensor, scanning probe, lots of bits and bit box, Floyd Harris dust collector. Located in Henderson, NV. I have decided to go with a Shopbot machine. Make me an offer. I would prefer to sell it close to here and deliver it in person.
    The problem with communications is the illusion they have occurred.

Everyone has two choices here:

If you want to stick with only what you paid for in the beginning, we are not taking away your ability to use your machine.

If you want us to continue to grow the system and it's capabilities, add new things that the CW can do and take advantage of these product developments, then you will need to pay for them.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I feel like its a debtors prison in a way if you don't have the 2.0 you can't see the patterns that are done in 2.0 I believe that the loyal customer ought to have a discount I have $9,000.00 invested in the carvewright and have to have the 2.0 just to be able as a little thing to see what is posted on the forum that is done in the 2.0 format so that if you don't have it the program it going to be where the senior members won't be able to help the next guy that has that format. My feeling is its getting to be like a boat... a hole in the water that you won't be able to fill up it is supposed to be used for hobbies not industrial use, with that in mind how can a hobbyist keep up.
    My point exactly, all though I don't have $9000 invested ( I could never justify that amount on this machine) I just feel overwhelmed with all the add on's and now paying good money for 2.0 and knowing that eventually I will be forced to buy it whether I can afford it or not. And those that say I am not forced to buy it just look at the fact that all new add on's and features are going to require it. soon all new patterns even those for sale will be in the 2.0 or later format. I know that eventually I will be forced to buy it. I am just waiting for a paying job that needs it and I will use that reason to justify it. That is how I justified and payed for centerline, conforming vectors, and the pattern editor with probe. Finally to be honest I just do not see future anything software related coming from this company to be less than $200 since that is their favorite number to charge for things. I want this company to succeed as I have a lot invested in it but I just think their software marketing strategy is an "Apple" strategy when the machine is a hobby or "Dell" machine. They remind often that this is a hobby machine and a way for the hobbyist to get into CNC. They need to remember who their buyers are when marketing the software portions of the machine. I do not believe the add on modules should cost as much as the machine itself. Ok, I am getting off my soapbox before the thread is closed and I am sent to my room without dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarver View Post
    My point exactly, all though I don't have $9000 invested ( I could never justify that amount on this machine) I just feel overwhelmed with all the add on's and now paying good money for 2.0 and knowing that eventually I will be forced to buy it whether I can afford it or not. And those that say I am not forced to buy it just look at the fact that all new add on's and features are going to require it. soon all new patterns even those for sale will be in the 2.0 or later format. I know that eventually I will be forced to buy it. I am just waiting for a paying job that needs it and I will use that reason to justify it. That is how I justified and payed for centerline, conforming vectors, and the pattern editor with probe. Finally to be honest I just do not see future anything software related coming from this company to be less than $200 since that is their favorite number to charge for things. I want this company to succeed as I have a lot invested in it but I just think their software marketing strategy is an "Apple" strategy when the machine is a hobby or "Dell" machine. They remind often that this is a hobby machine and a way for the hobbyist to get into CNC. They need to remember who their buyers are when marketing the software portions of the machine. I do not believe the add on modules should cost as much as the machine itself. Ok, I am getting off my soapbox before the thread is closed and I am sent to my room without dinner.
    My points exactly ICarver. I love the machine, but the software investments have almost equaled hardware investment. Centerline, conforming vectors, etc. My decision to buy a local Shopbot for just about what I have invested in the CW was driven by the software costs of CW. To boot, the Shopbot comes with a ton of software, bits, and accessories. I got lucky I guess. Let us see if the gentleman who agreed to purchase my CW shows up with cash in hand!
    The problem with communications is the illusion they have occurred.

Designer 2.0 is not standard issue with the CarveWright. They get 1.187 unless they pay the extra $200.

No one paid $200 for 1.187 or earlier versions.

It is currently and has been on sale a couple of times for 10% off. It was also offered to CarversClub members at a discount and to conference attendees at a discount.
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 12-19-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

A different point of view. If the cost of learning is high? What is the cost of ignorance?
    I certainly don't like school. I don't like to spend money. I can't keep up with technology, so to spend a few dollars on
    a hobby and the pleasure of learning. Us old guys must just enjoy what we can afford. This teaches you new ideas, math, carving,
    art and makes new friends. Like a credit card commercial "PRICELESS!"
    Woodpecker

10. Default

At this time I don't think it is, I am also worried that it will be a never ending road of $200. When 3.0 comes out, then 4.0 etc. I am holding out till I really have to have it, kind of a protest.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast