Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picky Woodworkers

Default Picky Woodworkers

So I'm wondering if anyone else does this. Do you ever go into someplace, perhaps with your wife/girlfriend where there are products made by other woodworkers, and examine their work, pointing out all the flaws?

This last week my girlfriend and I made a trip to a new craft shop to show some of my products. Was a great trip, sold over $400 worth of product with the promise of more in the future. On the way back we stopped at a large store called "Kansas Originals" which has only products made in Kansas. There were lots of various products and I found myself looking at some of the stuff and making comments like "that is a terrible job of finishing" or "They should have sanded that better". I spotted a small shelf that was made from a beautifully figured piece of maple, which is a shame in itself. That board should have become something more elegant. Anyway, the builder had not sanded it enough to take out some of the "planer rash" (tear-out), and it looked like they had only sprayed on one light coat of finish so there were dull spots. And there were exposed fasteners that looked like decking screws. For shame!!! In addition I found cutting boards and rolling pins made with oak?? Big no no! My girlfriend bless her heart tells me that the fact that I'm so picky is what makes my products a step above. I feel that if I am going to put my name on something it better be as good as it can. I don't want my stuff showing up at Antiques Roadshow in 100 years and them saying it's worthless because I was just an average craftsman LOL.

On another note, there were countless violations of the college logo copyright laws. I know a couple of schools for sure that require a sticker fixed to every product, and there were all sorts of products with no sticker in sight. Makes me wonder why I worry about getting licenses when nobody else does and they get away with it. Also makes me feel that I should make mention of it to the company that administers those licenses. Anyway... who else does stuff like this? Or is this my own brand of crazy? HEHE
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Yeah I have a tendency to do that also but I usually keep it to myself. I am much more critical of my own work. My wife gets upset with me when I point out areas that did not come out as good as I would have liked.

Like Dale I too keep it to myself, they may be doing the best they know how to do.
    there is old saying "when you point a finger at someone ,remember there are 3 fingers pointing back at you".
    Perry B.
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

Me too, but worse, I often say......how did he do that!
    Carvewright A machine 2007
    Carvewright C machine 2013 DC-Insert
    Mavric iMac i7 16gig latest version
    Designer 1.187, Designer 2.04, Centerline Text, Conforming Vectors, STL importer, DFX importer, Pattern Editor and probe

People make items at their ability (and wallet), but also as soon as it it a marketed item they make the item to be at a price and profit margin that will sell. If you want to make a profit you can't put 10 hours of build and finish time into a $25 product. I always see items built different than I would have done - it does not mean whoever did it is less of a craftsman, it only means their reasoning for making the item the way he did was different than mine might be.

Most of my work involves building construction, and it is upsetting how many in the business are always badmouthing other people's work. On a few occasions I have seen contractors totally bash a job only to have the homeowner state it was his work or even worse, that of a deceased parent.

In other words, be careful how and why you judge other people's work...

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    So I'm wondering....

On another note, there were countless violations of the college logo copyright laws. I know a couple of schools for sure that require a sticker fixed to every product, and there were all sorts of products with no sticker in sight. Makes me wonder why I worry about getting licenses when nobody else does and they get away with it. Also makes me feel that I should make mention of it to the company that administers those licenses. Anyway... who else does stuff like this? Or is this my own brand of crazy? HEHE
    On the Copyright issue... Especially Sports stuff... I always imagine the lights going out in the County Jail and "bubba" wispers in your ear... "Tell me again why you are here....?".... LOL... I worked at our County Jail for 3 days and QUIT....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I occasionally vend on the weekends and am around a lot of woodworkers the thing is none of us do the same type of woodworking one might do scroll saw work another does chain saw carvings, one makes wood furniture, and another does bowls, and I of coarse do woodworking with the carvewright. If not a Blanton eye sore it is not something that I might not mention. you don't want to say something bad about anyone. rule of thumb is on that matter is nothing said...nothing can be said...

I think it is something that probably something that most people who are skilled in a certain area or works in a certain medium usually does when viewing out people work. It is not done with the intent to find the imperfections or mistakes but they are noticed if you know what your looking at.

Now for me most times it is "Oh yes that is what I should of done!"
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thats what I was thinking floyd. I definitely critique myself harder than I probably should. To each his own I suppose.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

I made a box for a friend to give as a present. I screwed up the depth of carve! It was different side and front. So the inside of the miter joint, the fronts were deeper than the sides... It was a highly figured Walnut Burl. There was no starting over. I resawed and planed down the left over piece and mitered them, and made "insert spacers for the sides". My wife was amazed! I was devastated! To be honest it really came out almost perfect. When I tried to point the seams out to my friend, I look up and she is wiping tears away... She couldn't have seen that seam if she had tried! I truly don't think she could have been happier. But I learned from that lesson! LOL I've learned to please my wife. If it pleases her it is good!
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast