Thread: attempting to cut out first pattern

Default attempting to cut out first pattern

Ok I am ready to start cutting out patterns that I am buying from pattern depot I tried a couple of weeks ago on the bass pattern and I had the wood in a jig 3/4 inch melomime bottom when the machine did its measuring the message on the screen was board to thick I was cutting a piece of pine so I took it as the machine measured the wood to cut and the jig where did I go wrong can someone tell me how to do it correctly so I can start doing cut outs succesfully and is it poosible to do a cut out with the carving bit instead of the cutting bit. Thanks Doug

When you set up your design board set the thickness as your actual carving board, do not combine the sled and carving board. When the machine does all of the start up process and does the check on the 1/8" cutting bit length and does the bit touch on the sliding plate you will probably be asked if you want to cut out on the project design or board (or something similar to this). You should select project/design.

Also note that when it does to the cut out it will carve deeper than your project board and will carve into the jig a small amount. So be prepared to eventually sacrifice your jig board.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    and is it poosible to do a cut out with the carving bit instead of the cutting bit. Thanks Doug
    Yes it is possible. I suggest that you post your .mpc file so we can take a look.

Good morning all Ok this morning I uploaded the bass pattern did the carve region set the peramiters to max depth 1/4 in my material is 3/4 inch my sled is 3/4 inch machine measured aske how thick is board I entered .750 measured again dislpay said to thick to cut 1 abort 2 continue I pressed continue was I right or wrong to continue I assume it knows the board thickness and the max depth cut .

Well I did my first cut out with tabs went well I need to adjust the depth it cut into the sled a little I was a little nervous after the machine said board to thick to cut but it did well. Thanks for the input from those who have been doing this longer.

If by "cut into the sled a little" you mean a fraction of an inch, that is normal. My sleds are quite scarred this way but repeatedly work fine.

yes only by a fraction of an inch I am not to concerned now that I got the first one out of the way I am finding that people not all prefer the cut outs I lve what this machine is able to do just don't like the down time when parts go out

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    Well I did my first cut out with tabs went well I need to adjust the depth it cut into the sled a little I was a little nervous after the machine said board to thick to cut but it did well. Thanks for the input from those who have been doing this longer.
    You might check with the CarveWright folks to see if you need to recalibrate the depth setting of the machine or follow the depth calibration procedure http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...alibration.pdf
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Those cutouts in the sacrificial board have saved me a few times. When something doesn't come out right, you can recarve and you have the exact position to fasten the board back down.
    "Carved with Love"

Happiness comes from within.
    But joy comes from helping others.

Measure twice... and then sneak up on it!