Thread: CW Hazard Prevention?

Default CW Hazard Prevention?

First, allow me to state that it isn't my intention to bombard this forum with a barrage of questions, and I promise that I will do my best to make this one my last - at least for a while . But I do have quite a concern, which I hope to get some enlightenment one.

The other day, I read a post from one of the members, here, where he had just finished a sign which too him 22 hours to complete. Now, I have been trying to sop up every bit of information that I could, in attempts to arm myself with enough knowledge by which to be in the position to carve something when my machine gets here, on Monday. In my learning quests I have come across a lot of praises for the CW machines. But I have also read about just as many concerns on the units; particularly in the fire hazard department. It had been sung, over and over again, how important it was to keep an eye on the machine, and to periodically 'feel' the Flex Shaft for excessive warmth - which could (and understandably so) be an indication of impending danger. 22 hours on a project isn't a sneeze, and I don't believe that many of us (if any) would babysit their machines in a near continuous manner which would be required. Now, I know that the machine has a pause feature built into it, and that it should resume a job from where it left off. My question is this: does that pause feature hold operations under a time constraint? What I mean by that is this: would the machine lose its memory after a certain period of elapsed 'idle/pause' time?

I am SO looking forward to getting my CW, and know that it will certainly serve in enabling me to generate some income with a craft that I love so much. I just want to make sure that I will be going about it in the safest manner possible.

And, advanced thanks to ALL you good people for stepping up to the plate, and helping a newbie out.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Personally I babysit my machine, I go inside and leave the back door open to listen for noises that don't sound right. And know about how long it is before I need to change bits and when it stops and start to up again to start a different pattern. There are some that uses smoke detectors and a intercom to listen. If 22 hrs. is to long then push the stop button and when you are ready to start again then just push enter and it continues where it left off.

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    Personally I babysit my machine, I go inside and leave the back door open to listen for noises that don't sound right. And know about how long it is before I need to change bits and when it stops and start to up again to start a different pattern. There are some that uses smoke detectors and a intercom to listen. If 22 hrs. is to long then push the stop button and when you are ready to start again then just push enter and it continues where it left off.
    Thanks. That is good enough. I was just concerned that there might have been a maximum pause time permitted, before the unit would shut down, and lose memory settings. You have just alleviated fears, and I thank you.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan

Some Smoke Detectors have relay output contacts that can be wired to the clear cover switch to stop the machine as SOON as the detector goes off... and if your using a iSwitch to run your collector then the collector shuts off too... The BUMMER is the collector fans the fire... making it Extra BAD by keep running...
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

If you have the machine on.. the time the machine is left on, go to the servo.. means time the machine is on.... not the time on the cut motor.

Nathan,

Hey do not be concerned about asking to many questions. They not only help you but also new users as they come on board and sometimes even some of us old ones as well.

As aokweld said pressing the stop button once will pause the carving process and hold the program at that spot until you press is again to start back up. As an added step I also raise the clear cover. This will prevent any accidental pressing of any key that could abort your project. When starting back up you will be prompted about the cover being open, press yes to continue, and then the prompt to restart the project...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Nathan, I cannot wait for you to get your machine!! You, dear sir, will be the next CW Rock Star!!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Nathan, I cannot wait for you to get your machine!! You, dear sir, will be the next CW Rock Star!!
    Me? The next CW Rock Star? I can only WISH ��. But I thank you for saying so.
    ~ Blessings ~
    Nathan